• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going To Reject Contract Re-Newal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd agree about the negotiation, but don't say anything about stress, tiredness etc. Simply - they want you to renew, they lose out if you don't. Insist on something you could handle. Maybe a four day week, after having had 2 weeks off at the end of your current contract.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Good choice dude, now that you've set your mind on the decision, move onward and upward. Take a bit of time out and enjoy it! I hope the client/agent end up worse off as a result of their bullsh*t attitude. Let us know what happens (if anything)!!
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

DONT pack it in, think carefully, did the same myself start of 08, then got benched for 4 long and stressful months. I should have stayed and started looking elsewhere, you get something else and there are 10 ways to walk starting with sitting them down and explaining you want to leave (who wants to keep someone in that zone ?)
        Also, start standing up for yourself and learn to say no, will work wonders to deflect some of the pressure.
        Change other aspects outside work, book some weekends away with missus, get some new golf clubs, car, learn how to ride a motorbike blah blah. Don't spend your time away from work worrying about your time there.
        You are in a rut but I can work virtually anywhere for 13 weeks, short of actual physical harm and 13 weeks on the couch is just as bad after the first 2 or 3 weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by GCR99 View Post
          Gazzer! is that really U? this is the other shop steward from TEL
          erm, no.
          I think there's more than one of me.....

Comment

Well, I've done the deed today.

Reaction was expected lead balloon but stayed calm and explained my side, highlighting that am running the contract out not quitting early. Decison accepted and I have offered to stay on for an extra 2 weeks after the contract ends for 3 days per week to ensure smooth handover.

As explained to them I want to leave on good terms so am happy to do this.
            Feel very relieved...

Thanks again to all.

Comment

Sorry just to clarify - by that I meant I told clientco that I will not be re-newing at the end of contract...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Reaction was expected lead balloon but stayed calm and explained my side, highlighting that am running the contract out not quitting early. Decison accepted and I have offered to stay on for an extra 2 weeks after the contract ends for 3 days per week to ensure smooth handover.

As explained to them I want to leave on good terms so am happy to do this.
                Feel very relieved...

Thanks again to all.

Congratulations. As others have said - looking after yourself is more important than any client deadline, any agents margin, and any contract - the world will keep on spinning, and you'll soon be feeling tip top again.

If you have any issues with the agent, the logical answer should prevail - ultimately by being on site at a sub-standard level you affect thier brand (some won't give a toss about this) and jeapordise future business for them. If they have any brains (and yes, I know many of them don't) then they'll be happy to work with you again, as you've built the trust that you're in this to protect all parties - not just for your own personal gain. It might not be true, but ultimately perception = reality.

Glad you've made a firm decision - good luck with the DIY, and hope you find a less stressful gig soon....

TAV
                "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Well done, I hope you feel better soon. It will be better than having a breakdown brought on by stress and over work. I know that for a fact.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                  X