• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Practical / Useful Do you find PRINCE2?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key part about PRINCE2 besides the documentation is management by exception. In reality the confines in which a project manager can work with on a project (time, cost & scope) are not usually well defined so in my experience it's down the to the project managers discretion if they can manage it internally or escalate it to the project board/senior stakeholders.

I'm about to do my practitioner reaccreditation and the documentation terminology is still relevant in todays world (e.g. understanding what should be in place for a project initiation document - PID) however the processes around how day to day a project is managed varies greatly with each PM and the organisations they work in. As Cojak mentioned it's about a PM using what in their experience works best with the type of project they are managing and the organisations they are working with to deliver that project is what makes a good PM - not how closely they follow PRINCE2.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
      The key part about PRINCE2 besides the documentation is management by exception. In reality the confines in which a project manager can work with on a project (time, cost & scope) are not usually well defined so in my experience it's down the to the project managers discretion if they can manage it internally or escalate it to the project board/senior stakeholders.

I'm about to do my practitioner reaccreditation and the documentation terminology is still relevant in todays world (e.g. understanding what should be in place for a project initiation document - PID) however the processes around how day to day a project is managed varies greatly with each PM and the organisations they work in. As Cojak mentioned it's about a PM using what in their experience works best with the type of project they are managing and the organisations they are working with to deliver that project is what makes a good PM - not how closely they follow PRINCE2.
      Absolutely, but PRINCE2 is supposed to be tailored for this reason. Since I started this thread, 5 years ago, I can say that I have never used PRINCE2 the way it's described in the book - has anyone. But I have taken away the essentials and blended them into my practical day to day project management (sometimes with different terminology to suit my client). Same goes for Scrum processes. Know what the ideal is, then adapt to it as much as the organisation will allow.

Comment

And since this thread covers the date range, a question:

From a non-certificate point of view, is it worth learning about the 'new' version of Prince 2, or is it still ok to go back to my 'old' P2 books for reference?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          And since this thread covers the date range, a question:

From a non-certificate point of view, is it worth learning about the 'new' version of Prince 2, or is it still ok to go back to my 'old' P2 books for reference?
          In my opinion, get the new book and refresh using that. I am no longer certified (expired last year), and I haven't updated my certification (nor do I plan to for this release of PRINCE2). But one thing I do plan on doing is refreshing myself on the new book so I'm up to speed. I've done this with MSP as well, even though I am not MSP certified at all.

Comment

I've got all the certifications kindly paid for years ago when permie employer had bags of cash: PRINCE2, PMI, PMP, APM, MSP blah blah bl**dy blah.

In reality, the only two methodologies any client seem to be interested in these days are:

PINO - Prince In Name Only
            AINO - Agile In Name Only

(or in case of TCS: WTFIAPMM - WTF is a PM methodology?)

Everyone likes to say they have a stong methodology, but they actually just want to get the job done without upsetting too many people and not spending too much.

I used to love all this stuff, but now I just get on with delivering the product.
            Last edited by Project Monkey; 22 August 2014, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
              I've got all the certifications kindly paid for years ago when permie employer had bags of cash: PRINCE2, PMI, PMP, APM, MSP blah blah bl**dy blah.

In reality, the only two methodologies any client seem to be interested in these days are:

PINO - Prince In Name Only
              AINO - Agile In Name Only

(or in case of TCS: WTFIAPMM - WTF is a PM methodology?)

Everyone likes to say they have a stong methodology, but they actually just want to get the job done without upsetting too many people and not spending too much.

I used to love all this stuff, but now I just get on with delivering the product.
              Good point. I think that the methodologies do provide some good ground for the PM though. It's easy for you to say this because you're experienced (especially as a contractor working in different work environments, which is like a PM methodology in itself). Plus you can always walk in there and impress with the way things 'should be' or 'could be' if they hired you. Of course once hired it's all about delivering the product and methodology formalities tend to escape through the nearest window.

Comment

As a fully qualified PRINCE2 practitioner, I can tell you that I use it for the following purposes:
                • Listing it as a skill on my CV

I hope that clarifies.

In all seriousness - some of the basic concepts like agreeing (or even having) a business case and setting things like cost and time tolerance are useful. As are having the concept of a configuration librarian - i.e. the PM or BA who maintains the documents. But that's it really - I wouldn't have any friends if I properly used PRINCE2.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  Most project management is a massive ass covering exercise.

I think it would be interesting to see how many builders, manufacturers etc. use Prince2. The reality is the core of any organisation that actually builds anything lies with their MRP, stock and resource management systems, not some silly procedural system that ensures reports are written and boxes are ticked at the right time.
                  Not sure what you mean by this statement - Prince 2 may be process driven if applied to the letter etc, but your sweeping statement above I would not agree with, being an experienced PM myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    As a fully qualified PRINCE2 practitioner, I can tell you that I use it for the following purposes:
                    • Listing it as a skill on my CV

I hope that clarifies.

In all seriousness - some of the basic concepts like agreeing (or even having) a business case and setting things like cost and time tolerance are useful. As are having the concept of a configuration librarian - i.e. the PM or BA who maintains the documents. But that's it really - I wouldn't have any friends if I properly used PRINCE2.
                    I have recently undertaken my 5 yr re-certification - just bought the latest manual, did the exam online from home, got result 1 week later. Nothing to it, although the exam scenario and qs were harder than I expected.

Comment

Try using PRINCE2 to deliver anything other than a product.

I grimaced as I watched a PRINCE2 PM completely unable to fathom why it didn't work for a infrastructure migration project. He was determined but totally stressed out, but after two weeks of spinning round in circles trying to break down the project into 'products', another PM was assigned. The next one hadn't done that type of project either but ended up throwing out the rule books and using common sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X