• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fidelity tie-in extended on renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fidelity tie-in extended on renewal

My agency has extended their tie-in period on the renewal of my contract from 6 months to 12, any thoughts on this? personally im inclinded to cross it out and put 6 months back in but in these uncertain times maybe i should just sign?

I'd cross it out and put 3 months just for them being cheeky. The worst that'll happen is they put it back to 6 months.

In any case 12 months is generally considered unenforceable for these kinds of clauses, so there's an argument you could just sign it and completely ignore the clause if it came down to it.

Comment

The clause doesn't apply to you - it applies to the client - they're the ones who would get hit with a whopping bill if it happened.

I'd just sign it if it was me as it has no risk to you.

HTH

TAV
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

If it doesn't apply to the contractor, why is it in his/her contract?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Im no legal expert - and every contract is different, but I believe it's because the service providers contracts have to reflect the details contained in that of the client.

If it's worded the same as ours, it states that a fee will become payable by the client if they engage the candidate on a direct basis within 6 months of the initial introduction, or the end of the last contract. I've never seen it come back on a contractor, only ever a client.

Cheers
          TAV
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
            I'd cross it out and put 3 months just for them being cheeky. The worst that'll happen is they put it back to 6 months.

In any case 12 months is generally considered unenforceable for these kinds of clauses, so there's an argument you could just sign it and completely ignore the clause if it came down to it.

Good advice. If you signed 6 months then it is probably enforceable (if they can be arsed) If you sign for 12 months then they wont be able to enforce it.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              Im no legal expert - and every contract is different, but I believe it's because the service providers contracts have to reflect the details contained in that of the client.

If it's worded the same as ours, it states that a fee will become payable by the client if they engage the candidate on a direct basis within 6 months of the initial introduction, or the end of the last contract. I've never seen it come back on a contractor, only ever a client.

Cheers
              TAV

Bo**ocks
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It has always said that its not just restricted to the client company, but any company that I work with (that could mean customers, suppliers etc) through the client company. I assume that they would only try and enforce that part of it by coming after me.

Seems like the agency are changing the terms in their favour, but i guess with times like these i should just be happy with whatever terms as long as im in a contract!

Comment

Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
                  It has always said that its not just restricted to the client company, but any company that I work with (that could mean customers, suppliers etc) through the client company. I assume that they would only try and enforce that part of it by coming after me.

Seems like the agency are changing the terms in their favour, but i guess with times like these i should just be happy with whatever terms as long as im in a contract!

By applying the tie in clause to both client and contractor they (sorry "we") are doubling our chances of preventing it from happening.

Comment

So is 12 months tie-in becoming the norm now?
                    my agency implied that it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X