• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phoning agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoning agents?

Does anyonw get any results from following up applications with a phone call?

I keep getting told "We're going through the applications now and will call back the most relevant candidates".
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I keep getting told "We're going through the applications now and will call back the most relevant candidates".
    I phone randomly. I see no improved results as a result of calling them. But there again, that's just me.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I used to follow up the CV with a phone call 10 mins or so after sendign it in on the pretext of wanting more details about the role for example if the rate or start date wasn't specified. That way the pimp is encouraged to actually look at your CV straight away and it's easier to figure out if they are fishing by asking them directly who the client is "So I don't apply for the role through another agent by accident."

About 50% of the time this ended up in a commitment from the pimp to put me forward immediately and occasionally a request for a revised CV to give a closer match to the spec before submission.

Overall it was probably worth it, probably more so now when you need any edge you can get over the competition.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I used to follow up the CV with a phone call 10 mins or so after sendign it in on the pretext of wanting more details about the role for example if the rate or start date wasn't specified. That way the pimp is encouraged to actually look at your CV straight away and it's easier to figure out if they are fishing by asking them directly who the client is "So I don't apply for the role through another agent by accident."

About 50% of the time this ended up in a commitment from the pimp to put me forward immediately and occasionally a request for a revised CV to give a closer match to the spec before submission.

Overall it was probably worth it, probably more so now when you need any edge you can get over the competition.
        This I like
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

If its a role that I think I am a good match for, I usually call up before sending my cv. This gives me a chance to sound out the role, and also for the agent to quickly assess if I am suitable. If you are a good match for the role, this will more often then not result in you being put forward for the role. Another reason to call, especially if you are applying through jobsever, is to ask for thier personal email - as jobserve apps do not always get through...most agents are happy to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Yeah I agree there have been times my advert has attracted too many people for me to go through every application and a contractor rings up and tells me to look at their CV as they have the skills that are relevant and have made placements because of that call.But then I get the phone calls form the people that cant speak the native laugauge call up taken no regard for what the adverts says and says I want job.

Comment

Same as Sal, if am a good match for the job always call the agent after sent the CV, basically to bring to his attention how good of a match I am, find this is useful to an agent as well as many times they are so uninformed about my area they would not know just from a cv how good a match I would be.

If it's one that I am not a great match for generally don't

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                Same as Sal, if am a good match for the job always call the agent after sent the CV, basically to bring to his attention how good of a match I am, find this is useful to an agent as well as many times they are so uninformed about my area they would not know just from a cv how good a match I would be.

If it's one that I am not a great match for generally don't
                WTS

Although "well because they are agents"

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
                  If its a role that I think I am a good match for, I usually call up before sending my cv. This gives me a chance to sound out the role, and also for the agent to quickly assess if I am suitable. If you are a good match for the role, this will more often then not result in you being put forward for the role. Another reason to call, especially if you are applying through jobsever, is to ask for thier personal email - as jobserve apps do not always get through...most agents are happy to provide.
                  Ditto
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Recruitment Agent View Post
                    Yeah I agree there have been times my advert has attracted too many people for me to go through every application and a contractor rings up and tells me to look at their CV as they have the skills that are relevant and have made placements because of that call.But then I get the phone calls form the people that cant speak the native laugauge call up taken no regard for what the adverts says and says I want job.

Classic.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X