• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running remote contracts....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running remote contracts....

Hi All,
    The contract I'm in at the moment gives me a lot of spare time, but I have to be onsite as it's working on an airgapped system. Does anyone run more than one contract at the same time? How did you find them?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Hi All,
    The contract I'm in at the moment gives me a lot of spare time, but I have to be onsite as it's working on an airgapped system. Does anyone run more than one contract at the same time? How did you find them?
    Working another project while onsite, using the Client's equipment, must be in breach of any sensible contract. Why not use the time to learn new skills, it's hard for them to complain about that.
    Or, if it's really that you have to be onsite 'on call', officially negotiate it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I can use my own laptop with a 3G modem, so no conflict there. In any case this is all moot unless I can find something in the 1st place.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        I can use my own laptop with a 3G modem, so no conflict there. In any case this is all moot unless I can find something in the 1st place.
        Isn't working from their premises - using their office facilities - still pretty dodgy legally?

Anyway... I got all my remote projects through being in the right place at the right time, on internet forums and so on.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

an airgapped system????
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Airgapped = not connected to anything else.

ie. No Internet/intranet/VPN access.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Anyway... I got all my remote projects through being in the right place at the right time, on internet forums and so on.
              Which internet forums (clearly not this one!)?
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Isn't working from their premises - using their office facilities - still pretty dodgy legally?
                Not at all. You might want to discuss it with the client first, but its certainly not illegal.

I have done it several times in the past, and currently am doing two contracts in parallel. For this to work you need to have one client who understands you will be taking some calls/e-mails from the other client. The other client needs to know the score - that you won't be available all the time. It depends on the nature of the work and the expectation of the client.

It can be bloody hard work too - the only real benefit is the money. In November I went from a comfortable 4 day week to a manic 5/6/7 day week and frequent 14 hour days. Think about how you will handle the busy days...when one client has a disaster and it stops you meeting another clients demands.

Comment

Working...
                X