• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thanks for all the replies guys (and girls?), I really appreciate everyone's input here.

I've had a think about it and decided to say nothing for now, it seems pointless making any fuss as potentially I may not even be offered job #1. If I get confirmation of an offer I will request the contract is sent so I can check it over.

Hopefully I can get interview #2 done and a result before being pressed to have this returned and signed, at that point if I need to turn down #1 I can do this and state that I've had a surprise offer come from a previous client and that given the situation the contract being offered (for my own security) can't be ignored.

Either way it doesn't matter when or how I break the news, I know agent #1 will not be impressed. What I don't want to do is burn my bridges without a firm confirmation from #2 first, as that could leave me in a bad situation.

Could certainly be the biggest crossroads in my career to-date this coming week (or maybe even nothing at all)!.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Best of luck and I sincerely hope that you get put in the position of having to choose between 2 nice offers.

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post
        I agree, it would be great to pay back agents for all the transparency they show in dealings with contractors.

Silence. A small tumbleweed blows past, leaving P1mp with the distinct feeling there's not a lot he can say to that without sounding like an utter hypocrite...

Comment

Explain this to Agent number 2 and ask that the interview be brought forward. Client no 2 will also want to see you if they only have 2 people they are interested in. The other guy could turn out to be a muppet.

At this time any job is a good 'un.

Comment

Ah well, dilemma over.

Had feedback today to say I didn't get the job for #1.. for anyone interested it was NHS, just goes to show that it *is* possible to get a sniff, despite no previous experience... (contrary to the urban legends going round at the moment)

Roll on Monday then, twice the rate, twice the contract length.. failing that, more holiday time to look forward to!!

Win/win!
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              Ah well, dilemma over.

Had feedback today to say I didn't get the job for #1.. for anyone interested it was NHS, just goes to show that it *is* possible to get a sniff, despite no previous experience... (contrary to the urban legends going round at the moment)

Roll on Monday then, twice the rate, twice the contract length.. failing that, more holiday time to look forward to!!

Win/win!
              That's the only way to look at it.

Good luck for Monday.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bummer on Job 1, best of luck on job 2

Comment

Working...
                X