• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Yeah, there's absolutely no way I'm going to sign a contract then back track on it once signed.
    You are the noble one - not. You're a liar, you've already told us you bailed after 1 day in your previous contract. So that's not backtracking is it?. Of course you will tell us that case was different. They always are for you aren't they.

As for TM's comments, I never mentioned immediately accepting and signing contracts. Leaving one contract to start another is a last resort after all delaying tactics are exhausted. In which case leaving after a day or 2 is ok, as this is the time when the client and contractor can tell if the role fits and before any real work gets done. There are also reserve candidates who can be called in.

Only a mug would turn down a 100% pay increase.

Comment

Good luck either way - just be aware that you could end up losing both......however a few days delay on the immediate one as said by others, is doable

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        You are the noble one - not. You're a liar, you've already told us you bailed after 1 day in your previous contract. So that's not backtracking is it?. Of course you will tell us that case was different. They always are for you aren't they.
        That's a fair point to make, although there were other factors which caused this to happen, mainly they mis-sold me the job and the contract wasn't possible - I could only know this after a day in the place. I was particularly annoyed at the situation myself as it's not what I expected to happen.

What would you do if they gave you a job spec which you agreed to in an interview/meeting, only to turn up on the Monday and have a different person give you a completely different role (and by different I mean completely off the scale in terms of why you were brought in).

So yes, that case was different in my view. In general I have good morals and principles, but the client caused that problem, not my choice.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

If you get the first job, then accept the first job "subject to an agreed contract". Then hope that the second job comes up, offers you a role, and it lasts.

Of course, there is no guarantee that either of the roles will last more than a week (or a day) - it may well be that either or both is cancelled before the end (or possibly before the start, as happened recently to a friend of mine).

I think I would take the first one that comes up with an agreed contract in writing, if it were me.

Alternatively, keep your phone switched off all day Friday in case they want to offer you the role...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why not try being honest with both Agents?

Tell Agent #1 that you have another interview, and if that comes off oyu will consider it. Tell him that you think his role is a better one long-term, but that the other role pays more (which is all true). Ask if there is any way of negotiating an increased rate and/or a longer contract. If not, then you've lost nothing and gained a better understanding of where you stand.

Tell agent #2 that you have already had another interview, and that it is a better prospect long-term, but that his rate is better and you will take that into consideration when making your decision.

You'll probably p**s them both off a little bit, but once the swelling goes down on their ego, they'll appreciate the honesty. Be honest and sincere with both, and you'll probably come up trumps. Of course, there is a chance that you will end up with nothing, but that is the price you pay for being in the contracting world, and pursuing multiple opportunities.

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by P1mpAndPr0ud View Post
              I agree, it would be great to pay back agents for all the transparency they show in dealings with contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by P1mpAndPr0ud View Post

Comment

... the agent I'm in contact with is very pro-active in terms of having everything wrapped up....

Agencies always ask for commitment before an offer, tell them you'll make a decision after you've had an official offer, seen the contract terms, and had a few nights to sleep on it. If they persist tell them you'll have to talk to the client again directly and ask for the date they are working to to get an answer.

Comment

Good luck I hope you get the higher rate/longer job. Sounds to me like you deserve a break, but you need to try not to burn bridges here if possible. Sometimes it is not possible though and bridges DO get torched.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yeah, there's absolutely no way I'm going to sign a contract then back track on it once signed. I've just had an email from agency job #1 to say client will say on Friday who they want.
                      Options:
                      1) Just don't answer the phone on Friday
                      2) Take the honest approach as suggested elsewhere
                      3) Try the middle ground - consider replying back to the agent before friday saying that as they have not made a decision yet you have another interview arranged for next week - this then lets the agent know you are in demand.

Good Luck!
                      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                      X