• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the market

I've been chilling for six months now, but may start looking in the new year. What's the market like for .NET in the City these days?

The news is all doom and gloom, but I'm no longer on the ground, so to speak, so it's difficult to translate that into job prospects (before I start looking).

Are rates off 10, 20%? And are companies hiring, or is it pretty horrible?

You chilled at the wrong time man. During the last 6 months you should have been building up your kitty. Things will be getting a lot chillier over the next 2 years.

Comment

The City doesn't exist any more, the pound has become worthless, and after the arrest of the opposition MP Damian Green even Zimbabwe refuses to trade with us.

Where were you chilling?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I was offered a contract in the city only today. Great rates too. Recession my arse.

And all I had to do was provide the agent with two contacts from previous gigs.

Hey wait a minute

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          You chilled at the wrong time man. During the last 6 months you should have been building up your kitty. Things will be getting a lot chillier over the next 2 years.
          My kitty is well-stocked.

I don't need to go back, I just was curious.

I'm not keen on a pay-cut though, trouble is things are unlikely to get better.

Comment

It is -10% across the board here, take it or leave
            Bored.

Comment

I've not seen a job (contract or permie) advertised in my field for over 6 months now.

Comment

Hold on to your nuts guys the worst hasnt even happened yet...

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  I've not seen a job (contract or permie) advertised in my field for over 6 months now.
                  For what? A pimp?

Comment

Next year is the "crunch" year. Hold on to your hats.

Maybe Gordo will pull it off with his spending spree, and by March we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X