• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business acumen!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't "provides own tools" one of the things that's good to have when trying to avoid IR35...
    as is having more than one contract -
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I worked for a large consultancy which had several business units, one of which was a consultancy, the other software/tools development, when I am on client site I am there just to do consultancy work, but me and other consultants were constantly asked to give demos on the software produced by the other branch of the same company, we obliged and gave demos, and we showed advantages of using the company's own software, but we never suggested that they’d have the software for free, just because they hired a consultant. We always quoted license fees etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        I worked for a large consultancy which had several business units, one of which was a consultancy, the other software/tools development, when I am on client site I am there just to do consultancy work, but me and other consultants were constantly asked to give demos on the software produced by the other branch of the same company, we obliged and gave demos, and we showed advantages of using the company's own software, but we never suggested that they’d have the software for free, just because they hired a consultant. We always quoted license fees etc.
        Sounds like D & C to me...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

ouch

Sort of hoisted by own Petard. You have the software licensed to you, they want to use it, they have to pay for you to drive the computer. Check the license agreement it may not cover you to manipulate other peoples data.

Now until renewal time you really have to do this for price quoted unless the software was excluded. On renewal then shaft them.

Now if they want others to use it they have to pay a license, of course you negotiate for them and get them a real good discount / yourself free training etc.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Sweet nothing.

As far as my contract says the only tools they've bought are the ones in my head.

You need a good agent
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Result.

They have raised a purchase order with the software giant to get there own copy costing mega bucks.

Why am I so happy with this outcome? The software giant is giving me a 10% commission on the P/O.

I don’t like to loose.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

that's a very good outcome, you techie guys have it easy! All i do is get screwed by the agent, client or staff!!

Comment

Working...
                X