• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting in France

If I contract in France less than 183 days/year using my U.K. based ltd, can I exempt French taxes and socail security?

Yes, provided your main residence (and family) stay in UK and you pay tax there, and you go back regularly (like each weekend). Also it's advisable not to do anything that looks like you're intent on staying long time like taking a long rental contract or opening local bank account.

Comment

You say 183 per year, if you mean you'll reappear next year, then almost certainly not. In all European countries I've worked in including the UK, the 183 rule covers more than one year, 18 months or 2 years. So you can do one stint of 183 days. If you want to come back again you'd need to check the rule carefully.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

For France, the 183 days includes days of arrival and departure.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          You say 183 per year, if you mean you'll reappear next year, then almost certainly not. In all European countries I've worked in including the UK, the 183 rule covers more than one year, 18 months or 2 years. So you can do one stint of 183 days. If you want to come back again you'd need to check the rule carefully.
          It is normally 183 days in one year, or an average of 91 days per year over several years: pass either limit and you're caught.

As NotAllThere says, arrival and departure days count.

And if they decide that you are not doing business trips from a UK base to France for some days at a time, but rather doing work based in France, then you are liable from day 1.

Comment

Working...
          X