• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview for contract requires a Presentation on a fictional project!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each to their own I say!!

Personally, I'd tell em to poke it up their respective hoops. My take on a contractor interview is fairly straightforward; here's my skills and experience, there's your requirements, is there a match? Yes - cool, no - move on!

Job done, home for tea and crumpets...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
      Decline gracefully and find the next one, your not a permie! Or do it and charge them for a day's consultancy.

Sounds like they want a load of ideas from candidates and will then just try it themselves anyway.
      A certain Chocolate manufacturer that has a side interest in vending machines used to solve their business problems this way - so I am told.

Comment

QUOTE=ratewhore;653527]Each to their own I say!!

Personally, I'd tell em to poke it up their respective hoops. My take on a contractor interview is fairly straightforward; here's my skills and experience, there's your requirements, is there a match? Yes - cool, no - move on!

Job done, home for tea and crumpets...

[/QUOTE]

LOL, personally i prefer scones.

Well ibe had a think about this and got some clarification from the agency, yes, left vaugue for a purpose so 2 points to you!

I wish it was a straightforward thing, quick in/out, but i think given the lack of tugs on the line at the moment in the contracting market im gonna give it a bloody good shot, if they nick the ideas and dont hire then im sure karma will bite them in the arse somehow anyway. . .project would fall apart etc (of course it would, i wouldnt be there [)

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
          knock something up within 2 hours max - if you cant you arent no where as good as you should be.
          What are you on mate?? 2 hours?? smoking the good stuff ?
          "if you cant you arent no where as good as you should be"...powerful statement??

Mate... Looks like they want implementation ideas that they haven't got!!!

Comment

Hey ya all

just thought i would let ya know what the outcome was in the end.

Well, i up the presentation together, put in alot of effort to really show my approach and my concerns about the lack of infomation, stating what info i would need and why i would need it etc really went to town on it. Spent about 1 1/2's on it.

Went for the interview, and. . .got the contract. Ive been there a week now and so far so good, just getting to know how the network and the clients departments hang together. .its V big.

blacjac was right about the public sector , they wanted the candidate to really demostrate to them what they would do, was definelty abit weird though, and judging by some request for tenders i have read since being there that they have written for other companies to reply to. . .theres a fair amount of pessimism in them and they could me misconstruded with being arrogant . . . seems ot be the way they operate. . .

Best of luck for all that are looking, explore everything you are offered even if you dont take it

rgds

Comment

Originally posted by yeahyeahwhatever View Post
              ... Spent about 1 1/2's on it...
              Wow, you devoted 1.5 seconds to it and still got the gig. Well done.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                In more normal times, I would say that any single contract is not worth jumping though particular hoops to get. If one contract wants me "to do an online test", or "answer a few multiple choice questions over the phone" I would tell them to swivel, plenty more contracts out there.
                I was asked to perform an online test for my present contract. The test was to gauge my proficiency in C programming. It didn't take much effort at all and I'm glad I did it because this has turned out to be a very cosy contract to have!

So I'm happy to do some small test if that's what they want. But I'd never go into the trouble of doing some presentation. Sod that.

Comment

desperate times . . . and all that

1.5 days lol

J

Originally posted by Trev16v View Post
                  I was asked to perform an online test for my present contract. The test was to gauge my proficiency in C programming. It didn't take much effort at all and I'm glad I did it because this has turned out to be a very cosy contract to have!

So I'm happy to do some small test if that's what they want. But I'd never go into the trouble of doing some presentation. Sod that.

Comment

Working...
                  X