• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the job boards really worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the job boards really worth it?

Currently looking for a new gig after this one ends. Registered by CV on the usual sites and geting some good responces, however none of the jobs the pimps have contact me about have been on the job boards. Searches of the boards throw up very little, in my expertise area at least, and I'm wondering if it's actually worth trawling the boards every day for roles that dont get posted anyway.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Currently looking for a new gig after this one ends. Registered by CV on the usual sites and geting some good responces, however none of the jobs the pimps have contact me about have been on the job boards. Searches of the boards throw up very little, in my expertise area at least, and I'm wondering if it's actually worth trawling the boards every day for roles that dont get posted anyway.
    I use the job boards (mainly Jobserve) to let the agencies know that I am looking for work. It's up to them to tell me if the jobs are real or not. If not, at least they know I am looking for work. If any of the jobs are real, great... if not, I hope that they may have some jobs that they keep on file that may fit my profile.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Worth it on the off chance, but don't have any great expectations, it's not like it takes much effort to check them.

Comment

nope. can't remember the last time i applied for a job from a job board - 3 or 4 years maybe? i sometimes use them to try and identify an end client or agent though.

Comment

Got my current gig via Jobsite. Had about 4 or 5 over the last 5 years through it too.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Now I'm looking again I've done what I've done before and set my profile to active on CWJobs and wait for the phone calls. I don't think any of the (four) contracts I've had were ever advertised, but you never know, they can't all be made up so it's probably worth looking.

I'm not sure if the pimps ever look at the responses they get via the boards, so better to phone if you see something good.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Last time I was looking I applied to a few roles through jobserve. Got a call back for each application sometimes within 10 minutes (which I found pretty frustrating having to answer questions answered in the first 10 lines of my CV), sometimes a day later. Got 4 interview invitations, 2 of which were as a result of applying to roles on there. So it's probably worth it.

I didn't bother opening up my CV on there to reduce the amount of calls received for permie jobs and other nonsense.

Comment

Interesting point. When I'm looking I naturally plough into the job boards, but I think 2/3rds of the time I get contracts from agencies calling me for roles I did not yet apply for.
                However, I think getting the apps out there means your CV gets bumped on the agency D/B and they are more likely to then call.
                I also find activating on Monster tends to generate a few enquiries.
                Bored.

Comment

Print out and keep a few adverts by Billy Jenkins of MA Associates.

Will save you time searching on Jobserve when you look for your next contract
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Got about 60% of my contracts over the last 10 years from jobserve apps, other 40% was repeat business (either client or agency) so yes would consider it worth it

But i would say it is dependant on what area you are in, some markets as so smalll that after a year or so you never need to look at them again

Comment

Working...
                    X