• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract renewal but 1 week notice lol?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract renewal but 1 week notice lol?

Hi all

Received a contract renewal from Sep 17 - 2/01/09

problem is its only 1 weeks notice period yet I have to give them 4weeks notice, plus they are actively looking for permanent staff to replace me so I could be gone during any period, should I ask for a pay rise, been working hard covering 2 permies who double booked their holidays and even doing some minor project work that no one else wishes to do.

I got a good reputation here but agency should give me an extra 20pounds a day do you think?
    Last edited by trsisko; 5 September 2008, 11:37.

depends on what you are doing...

I always try and get an extra few quid at renewal time, afterall the agent doesn't have to do much work...

As for the notice clause, I don't tend to have one - better for IR35 or so some say...
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
      Hi all

problem is its only 1 weeks notice period yet I have to give them 4weeks notice, plus they are actively looking for permanent staff to replace me so I could be gone during any period, should I ask for a pay rise, been working hard covering 2 permies who double booked their holidays and even doing some minor project work that no one else wishes to do.

I got a good reputation here but agency should give me an extra 20pounds a day do you think?
      Well they can only say no.

The four weeks / one week thing seems the norm. One week is actually quite good.

Comment

Negotiate. You've a reason to ask for more money; you're taking on a higher risk of being let go early.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi all

Not unusual to see unequal notice periods in contracts it's a point for you to negotiate on.
          You're a contractor there to meet additional workload demands or to cover for staff shortages, if the workload has increased it's hardly a surprise they're looking for new full time staff and it's proper for them to do so.
          Why do you feel that you should get a rate increase? Do you add extra value compared to when you agreed the original rate?
          An agent will not just up your rate by £20/day without a good argument from yourself so prepare one if you're going to negotiate.

Comment

This is good!

It points to no Mutuality of Obligation... (MOO)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Very much doubt you'll get an increase. Its not as easy as many seem to make out by just 'asking' for it.

Many clients have a rule of not increasing rates more than once in any 12 month period.

They think we're temps you see.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

problem is its only 1 weeks notice period yet I have to give them 4weeks notice,
                and I thought that was standard ... contractors are hire & fire ... do the job and get out !

plus they are actively looking for permanent staff to replace me so I could be gone during any period
                sounds like a sensible company ... if they need your skills permanently (or as permanent as things are in business) then they really should be looking for permanent cover

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  and I thought that was standard ... contractors are hire & fire ... do the job and get out !

sounds like a sensible company ... if they need your skills permanently (or as permanent as things are in business) then they really should be looking for permanent cover
                  My contract is 1 week by either party. Found it strange at first, but there again contracting is still fairly new to me. Was expecting 4 weeks. Happy with 1 week now that I come to think of it.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

indeed i asked had no chance the company across the board has sent a clear mesage to the agency no increases, i tried to ask for more of a cut, but they were qute firm, i suppose im on a good wage considering what i do anyway
                    so i am luckee to have an extension, so ill stay hush for now

Comment

Working...
                    X