• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not Joining after saying Yes: Wiil it Harm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Joining after saying Yes: Wiil it Harm?

Hi All,

I need an advice. I had been selected for permie role at 40K. Initially the agency had asked if that would be fine and I had said yes. Now I feel its too less and it might be worthwhile waiting for something better.

I want to ask that now if I say NO to join, will it harm me in anyways. Will the agency blacklist my profile and not refer for any further interviews?

Thanks in Advance

You're a plank for agreeing in the first place, but now just say it's not enough and you're not going. Agent won't like it, but it's only one agent so who cares. OTOH if you're benched, and it's local you could just go and get some interview practise.

Comment

Blacklist

Probably not. If the agency gets another role that it thinks you could do, their desire to get commission will outweigh any grudge against you.

Or if they do blacklist you, it will only apply to that agency, and there are hundreds of other ones doing the same thing, unless you're very niche.

Occasionally agents tell you they'll put you on an industry-wide blacklist and never work again. But such a blacklist doesn't exist, for many obvious reasons.

Comment

I did the same thing in my permie days, agent went mental, said I'd never work again all that malarkey.

6 months later I decided I did want to leave aftere all so phoned same agent. He bent over backwards to get me another role, which I took.

If they smell the commision, the history doesn't matter.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

I once agreed to go to a permie interview during a downturn. When asked how much salary I wanted, I quoted 25% over their expectations, because I really wasn't that interested.

Turned out the guy who was interviewing me handed his notice in the next day, so I was in the frame for his job, at my quoted rate, +10-20% yearly bonus +company car +fuel +quite interesting work.

So I took it. Did it for two years, and gained a lot of valuable experience and training. Was glad to get back to contracting though.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by newtopgun View Post
            Hi All,

I need an advice. I had been selected for permie role at 40K. Initially the agency had asked if that would be fine and I had said yes. Now I feel its too less and it might be worthwhile waiting for something better.

I want to ask that now if I say NO to join, will it harm me in anyways. Will the agency blacklist my profile and not refer for any further interviews?

Thanks in Advance
            Be diplomatic, say you´ve been offered 45K elsewhere but you don´t want to let him down, so if they match it you´d be happy.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Course the agent wont like it.

If you were buying a car and agreed a price with the seller then, the seller said the price was not enough, how would you feel?

Bottom line is deal with it and the hassle IF you do change your mind.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance
                It might affect your ability to spell will

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance
                  Just make up some bull that a serious illness or death in the family means you have to go overseas for an indeterminate period and you'll get back to him on your return. He won't believe you but there's no point in unnecessarily burning any bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Malingering BA View Post
                    Just make up some bull that a serious illness or death in the family means you have to go overseas for an indeterminate period and you'll get back to him on your return. He won't believe you but there's no point in unnecessarily burning any bridges.
                    That it is pathetic.

its your life, your future, if you change your mind and you are honest enough to say so then do it. I had one recently, a senior engineer who I took for an interview. He verbally accepted the job and then went to ground, two weeks before he was due to start I eventually got hold of him and he made some excuse about not going to start.

At first I was angry, and took the hit from the client (which shielded him from the blame) A year later we have another job and I call him. He says he knows the hiring director and is going to send his CV direct. I then explained our role in dealing with his previous change of mind, explaining that if things do go wrong the agency acts as a buffer. I also suggested he owes me a favour and he agrees for me to put him forward.

Had I got very aggressive with him for changing his mind then he would not have gone through me. Secondly, because we took a lot of the client flak the last time, he still has an open door back to that client.

It is the agents job to manage what I call behind the scenes issues such as these.

This same client had offered two other engineers jobs directly, both of who accepted. The pathetic little twerps changed their minds and instead of telling the client, they shoved letters into the letterbox the day before they were due to start. These two certainly wont get back into this client.

The moral of the story, is if the agent is a true supplier to the client use them , because it is better to abuse them than the client.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X