• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    2 options:

1. Completely ignore him (odds are vanishingly remote that there's a real opportunity anyway)
    2. Write a "polite" note declining his request

In reality if there's a genuine opportunity that the agent thinks you stand a good chance of getting then he will be far more interested in getting you in front of the client and the contract signed off than arsing about with pointless references.

In my (and most contractors) experience the whole agent wanting references thing is a pathetic smokescreen for them fishing for contacts to cold call.
    I think I am going to go for the ignore option and if he calls me back I can make some excuse. Am just in shock. I was lost for words with the way he spoke to me as it was unbelievable!
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 27 January 2011, 16:21.

Comment

The 'person' is being rude because they are lying and trying to bully you into doing what they want. But you know that really anyway.

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
      I was lost for words with the way he spoke to me as it was unbelievable!
      You could name and shame on here.

Or you could email one of the directors of that company with what happened. Not that they will care.

You could P.M. a few of the regulars to see what their view is of the agency in question.

You could feel smug that the resourcer (it was probably a resourcer calling you rather than an actual agent) is under immense pressure from their management to get this information and they are not being successful because of their attitude, and they will probably either be sacked or give up working in recruitment, and you did your bit to help them leave.

You could give them my id as a referee (my email address is available if you search) and I'll cheerfully publish their details if they contact me.

You could find a way to accept that this is the way these lying bastards behave without getting upset and just forget it happened. If you find such a way, please tell me what it is.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You could say something along the lines of:

"unfortunately I have made it my company policy to only give reference details when required after an offer has been made. I have come across too many people asking for them prior to putting me forward and every time I have it's resulted in my referees being pestered with sales enquiries. It's a shame that some people choose to engage in this practice - you'd think they's be good enough at what they do to not have to! I'm sure you don't fall into this catagory but unfortunately this small minority has forced me to make a blanket decision on this with absolutely no exceptions.

You do understand that such good references from such good organisions are far too important for me to risk losing favour with.

Oh well it's a shame this role won't work out - please do let me know if you get anything in that doesn't have this requirement for references up front "
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          You could say something along the lines of:

"unfortunately I have made it my company policy to only give reference details when required after an offer has been made. I have come across too many people asking for them prior to putting me forward and every time I have it's resulted in my referees being pestered with sales enquiries. It's a shame that some people choose to engage in this practice - you'd think they's be good enough at what they do to not have to! I'm sure you don't fall into this catagory but unfortunately this small minority has forced me to make a blanket decision on this with absolutely no exceptions.

You do understand that such good references from such good organisions are far too important for me to risk losing favour with.

Oh well it's a shame this role won't work out - please do let me know if you get anything in that doesn't have this requirement for references up front "
          I've used almost that exact wording many times in the past. I've even had some of the fisherfolk fess up that they're out in their trawlers and there's not really a role on offer, admittedly most of them just try to bull round it.

Comment

I only managed to say this "I have come across too many people asking for them prior to putting me forward and every time I have it's resulted in my referees being pestered with sales enquiries." Then he started being even more rude.

I completely forgot I had an end call button. Will be using that next time.

Lesson has definitely been learned and now I am back up-to-speed on the contract hunt again and all the tricks of the trade that they use. It is odd as this one really threw me with his mannerisms and my reactions were quite poor. Hey ho!

Comment

I assume the agent has some success with this technique, and I'm sure we've all been caught out at least once.

He's an unimaginative knob. Make a note of his name and company for future ref..when you are recruiting.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Argh! Another one and this time via email! They entice me with a good opportunity (not an amazing one though) and then send me their forms to fill in one of which asks for references.

What is wrong with these agencies?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                  What is wrong with these agencies?!?!?!?
                  Nothing, nothing at all.

They are gathering sales leads via a very efficient method: lying to, and wasting the time of, contractors who have first-hand experience of the sorts of client they want.

They don't give a tulip about you, so they don't care how you feel. And since you cannot tell whether they are lying or really do have the gig-of-a-lifetime, they can can get away with it.

It is what efficient parasites do to survive.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I have emailed them basically saying no and their response is an interesting one. Time wasters.

Comment

Just sent a response saying that I would like to not be put forward as just feel like I am being trapped into getting a role that might not even exist. I do not know why I feel guilty but it is just not worth it for me.

Arghhh the stress of finding work.

Comment

Working...
                      X