• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract termination

Quick question for the panel.

When a contract is terminated, does any reason for the termination have to be given?

Originally posted by Mustang View Post

When a contract is terminated, does any reason for the termination have to be given?
    What does it say in the contract?

Comment

Not my contract so I dont know - I dont think there was anything specific written.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post

No.

Even if they do, it's not likely to be all the truth. You're a contractor, it goes with the territory - what is the point of having temp staff you have to keep around when you don't need to?

HTH
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Reminds me (the question, not the OP) of a (newbie) contractor colleague who was in the 50% of contractors on the project who were not renewed. She demanded evidence in writing that her performance was inadequate. She was politely laughed out of the office.

My long contract came to an end recently. Best thing to do IMO is to be as helpful and professional as possible in wrapping things up and offer to stay in contact if there're any loose ends after you leave. I'm now getting some leads of further work there.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            She demanded evidence in writing that her performance was inadequate.
            Thereby providing one perfect example why!

Comment

I had one contract a while ago with all the usual "contract can be terminated with 4 weeks notice by either party" gubbins.
              Right down the end of the last page "the client can terminate the contract with immediate effect if the services are no longer required"
              I actually consulted a solicitor when they did this. The solicitor politely explained (and for no charge) that standard employment law doesn't apply for us. Basically, it's a business to business relationship.
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                I had one contract a while ago with all the usual "contract can be terminated with 4 weeks notice by either party" gubbins.
                Right down the end of the last page "the client can terminate the contract with immediate effect if the services are no longer required"
                I actually consulted a solicitor when they did this. The solicitor politely explained (and for no charge) that standard employment law doesn't apply for us. Basically, it's a business to business relationship.
                Really?

I'd never have guessed that one.

What with being in business and all......

Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                X