• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 day contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 day contract

Boomed!

I've secured a gig to follow on from my current gig and also have got a 1 day gig at the same time direct with an old client. So the question is should I prepare a contract for this one day? The client isn't fussed (and are good payers having been direct with them before) but I'm a little concerned that if some sort of audit was done with no contract would that be deemed within IR35?

Cheers
    B

I can't think of any reason why a verbal contract (no such thing as no contract, if you're providing services for which you expect payment) should be a pointer to IR35.

When I had a plumber in to fix a boiler, he didn't give me a written contract, just presented an invoice when the job was done. As far as I know, this didn't lead Hector to suspect that he was an employee of mine.

Comment

Those were my thoughts too, I've an email accepting the day and the rate agreed. Just being cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        Those were my thoughts too, I've an email accepting the day and the rate agreed. Just being cautious.
        I doubt even Hector would start getting heavy over the tax difference on a one day contract - it's hardly going to fix the budget deficit

Then again, given the insanity of so much else our beloved HMRC get up to...

Comment

The belt and braces approach would be to get the client to produce a purchase order. Something along the lines of the email that you already have just knocked up in a proforma to look a bit more formal would do the job.

Comment

You can't be deemed employed if your contract lasts one day. I know there's no theoretical lower limit, but it just wouldn't happen.

Comment

Yep PO is the best way to go.

If they can't do that then at least get some email confirming the details.

Comment

Invoice for the work will do. You wouldn't write up a contract for a sparkie to come and put in a new socket would you.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I agree with just invoicing for the day - it is an old Client and you have another contract - this should keep you outside IR35 as you are working for 'multiple' customers
                  Last edited by zara_backdog; 24 July 2008, 12:46. Reason: corrected by NotAllThere - sorry
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                    I agree with just invoicing for the day - it is an old Client and you have another contract - this should keep you within IR35 as you are working for 'multiple' customers
                    outside, surely?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X