• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn of any Use??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn of any Use??

Has any one used linked in to find work or have seen any use for it. Some pimps out there like to have contractors linked in to the thier contact list.

I just wondered if any one has had any thing positive come out of it.

Thanks all!!

Originally posted by sharemaster2 View Post
    Has any one used linked in to find work or have seen any use for it. Some pimps out there like to have contractors linked in to the thier contact list.

Thanks all!!
    Yes. Have been found by client and gone direct as a result. Also been found gigs by agencies. You do get some dross out there though....
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I'll only link to agents that I've known for years and can trust about as far as I could comfortably spit a rat. Otherwise I refuse their invitations.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I'll only link to agents that I've known for years and can trust about as far as I could comfortably spit a rat. Otherwise I refuse their invitations.
        That does not sound comfortable over any distance

I accept most invitations but just restrict what they can see.

Comment

In my experience LinkedIn has recently degenerated to just another source of SPAM. Sad, as it had potential. Never had a gig through it though.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I made the mistake of accepting a couple of invitations from agents, after which I realised that I needed to hide my connections on my profile, to avoid their harvesting.

Comment

Originally posted by alantan View Post
              I made the mistake of accepting a couple of invitations from agents, after which I realised that I needed to hide my connections on my profile, to avoid their harvesting.
              I agree, it's like a kind of pimp heaven.

I was surprised at how many people I knew who knew each other, like six degrees of separation and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by boo.boo View Post
                I agree, it's like a kind of pimp heaven.

I was surprised at how many people I knew who knew each other, like six degrees of separation and all that.

There isn't 6 degrees of separation (in the sense that is oft claimed).

You simply go around you own small part of the world and come back again via a different route.

tim

Comment

Thanks all!!
                  I've use it. Have had people contact me with opportunities within the first week of signing up. Unfortunately nothing has come out of it. Have a mixture of agencies and colleagues (ex and current) on my contacts list. If I want to find a job and use existing contacts (even when they have moved on), then it is easier to contact them via linked in then second guess where they are.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks all!!
                    A couple of agents have found me while looking for specific experience. I've had one interview out of it.

Another one contacted me last week after finding me on there. He asked if I would accept his connection on linked in. I told him that "I don't normally accept requests from recruiters." at which point he struggled to hide the fact that he was pissing himself with laughter.

Comment

Working...
                    X