• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are things normally this quiet? (first timer in north-west...)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are things normally this quiet? (first timer in north-west...)

Hi Everyone.

I am very keen to start working as a contractor but have yet to come across the "hundreds of opportunites" I was expecting.

Is it just quiet at the moment due to the economic downturn?

Ideally I am looking to work north of Manchester as I live in Preston. Am I just being too fussy?
    I hear of stories about people working miles away and being put up in hotels etc... I would do that.. but I just don't know how to go about arranging that sort of thing.
    Honestly I'm beinging to think that even after 10 years in the IT industry there's nothing out there for me... and I might as well put the house up for sale now!

I'd appeciate any serious advice with regard to where to look, what to expect etc etc. I'm running low on reserve funds whilst getting nowhere fast with my efforts.

Many thanks in advance,

Pete H.
    PS - what's this "Plan B" that people keep referring to?

Don't know what it is that you do but the Testing market's really quite dead at the moment. You're also at the disadvantage of being a first-time contractor.

If you don't think you can manage to arrange a B&B for weekdays if you work away do you think you're really think you're cut out for this contracting lark?

Plan B's are various posters' schemes for making cash, e.g. buy-to-let, providing other services on the side, etc.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It's quiet because of the uncertainty about the economy. not a good time to start looking.

As for work north of Manchester, unlikely. Manchester-Leeds downwards is where you'll get most of your work.

As for staying away, normally you have to foot that bill yourself out of your company receipts. A few on here cn demand companies put them up, but the majority of us cram into cheap B&Bs.

Do what i do, try to negotiate a 4 day week, then it's only 3 nights away a week 4 nights at home.

Apart from all that, welcome and good luck.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Not a good time to start IMO. If I was in a secure (is there one?) job I would stay put for now. Go into this with your eyes open. Not working is a real possibility today. Good luck.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Jobserve is your friend. Setup email alerts for what you're looking for.

Gauge the market, maybe even apply for some gigs but in this climate, don't give up the day job until you've got a cast iron contract signed and sealed.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by unixpro View Post
            Hi Everyone.

I am very keen to start working as a contractor but have yet to come across the "hundreds of opportunites" I was expecting.

Is it just quiet at the moment due to the economic downturn?

Ideally I am looking to work north of Manchester as I live in Preston. Am I just being too fussy?
            I hear of stories about people working miles away and being put up in hotels etc... I would do that.. but I just don't know how to go about arranging that sort of thing.
            Honestly I'm beinging to think that even after 10 years in the IT industry there's nothing out there for me... and I might as well put the house up for sale now!

I'd appeciate any serious advice with regard to where to look, what to expect etc etc. I'm running low on reserve funds whilst getting nowhere fast with my efforts.

Many thanks in advance,

Pete H.
            Is you userid a clue to what you do?!? Have you given up a permie job without a contract to go to?
            If you want to contract then you need to be prepared to work away from home and can't be fussy, at least not when starting out and trying to establish yourself. If you are working away, it is not really a case of 'being put up in hotels', more it is you finding your own accomodation, whatever suits e.g. renting a flat, a hotel, a room, mobile caravan etc. jobserve and jobsite is where I look, or get mailed jobs from.

Comment

You have no contractor experience.
              You live a log way from the hub of IT - London.
              You are entering the market in a recession/credit crunch.
              You have commodity IT skills.

And you wonder why there aren't 100's of opportunities.

Comment

It's July and you're in the NW. That's why it's quiet. Economy is incidental.

Comment

Typical

Hi Everyone.

Would you prefer the Radisson or the Malmaison?
                  I bet you don't know what a Ltd Co is or does for starters.

And you are about 10 years too late about the 'hundreds of opportunities'!

PS 'Plan B' is like the thing in the comedy 'City Slickers' - it's whatever you think it is.

Comment

I'm based in Manchester.
                    First contract was in Chesterfield, then Oldham and now I'm split between Eindhoven, Colchester and London (although thats not all for the same client)

I've found that there is some work in the North West but typically you'd be lucky to get it.

First contract can be hard to get as agencies and clients might not take you seriously. Drop your expectations and look (much) further afield and you'll get something eventually.

Luckily for me, current client is paying all travel, accomodation and subsistance expenses and allows me to work from home a fair bit (about 50% of the time)
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X