• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are things normally this quiet? (first timer in north-west...)"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    it can be done remotely from Bangalore..
    f***ed up

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Don't know what it is that you do but the Testing market's really quite dead at the moment. You're also at the disadvantage of being a first-time contractor.

If you don't think you can manage to arrange a B&B for weekdays if you work away do you think you're really think you're cut out for this contracting lark?

Plan B's are various posters' schemes for making cash, e.g. buy-to-let, providing other services on the side, etc.
    The test market seems to be up and down for me at the moment. A few weeks ago I got lots of calls and an interview (bloody horrible place though so I'm glad I didn't get it) I then had nothing for 2 weeks and now I'm getting lots of calls again and have had another 2 interviews. In general it doesn't seem to be that different to a couple of years ago.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Eh?

Type in "Test" into Jobserve for UK contracts over the last 7 days.
    Then try applying for some and see what sort of response you get...

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Eh?

I get 113,425 jobs titled "test please delete".

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Plane from Lancaster?
    It was a bomber.

Thenkyewverymush, I'm here all week, try the veal

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Eh?
    If he wanted to read fiction, he could go to a library

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Don't know what it is that you do but the Testing market's really quite dead at the moment. You're also at the disadvantage of being a first-time contractor.

If you don't think you can manage to arrange a B&B for weekdays if you work away do you think you're really think you're cut out for this contracting lark?

Plan B's are various posters' schemes for making cash, e.g. buy-to-let, providing other services on the side, etc.
    Eh?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I am from Lancaster. I have been contract for 10 years. I have worked no days in Lancashire in that time.
    Go where the work is, make sure the rate covers your costs. Commuting is easier by plane to the mainland than train to the South and offers a better lifestyle.

Plan B is your getting out of IT plan.
    Plane from Lancaster? I didn't know there was an airport there - only a few mills and a bale of hay.

Leave a comment:

• ookook
    replied
    In my experience of contracting - which has all been in the North so far - theres plenty of work around in between the Sheffield / Leeds / Manchester triangle.
    Admitedly thats a wide area but I've never had trouble picking up good rates. Although I suppose it helps that I tend to work with one particularly big Telecom company.
    A lot of the north west based contractors in the office also seem to cycle around between the various banks / telcos but they never seem to be out of work. Maybe you need a foot in the door first

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by unixpro View Post
    PS.. don't you think it's kinda perverse that we work in a field that enabled most things to be done remotely - yet we still have people commuting 140+ miles a day. Ridiculous.
    Yes. But if it can be done remotely, it can be done remotely from Bangalore. Be careful what you wish for.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I moved back to lovely Lancs and I have been in constant work for over 4 years now all within an hours commute, 5 different contracts. A bit flukey I think but there is quite a bit of work in and around the M6/M62/M56 between Manchester and Liverpool. Quite a few Co's have moved their IT stuff to lovely ( cheap ! ) industrial estate locations up here from the Sth East. Once you get past Preston you are making your commute quite a nasty one. The M6/62 junction is a joy to behold !

Leave a comment:

• unixpro
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I'm quite (well very) flexible - I don't mind staying away from home etc - I'm single anyhow so dont have to worry about stuff like that.

I will start looking further afield hence forth

Many thanks,

Pete.
    PS.. don't you think it's kinda perverse that we work in a field that enabled most things to be done remotely - yet we still have people commuting 140+ miles a day. Ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I am from Lancaster. I have been contract for 10 years. I have worked no days in Lancashire in that time.
    Go where the work is, make sure the rate covers your costs. Commuting is easier by plane to the mainland than train to the South and offers a better lifestyle.

I must admit I had 3 years on contracts at the Halifax where apart from the time I spent in Leeds I was walking distance from 3 sites and 5 mins drive from another 2 and that was really nice.

I spent the last 15 months living in Lytham which while nice does tend to wear a bit thin after a while.

I generally don't take contracts that are out of sensible commuting range, but I have the luxury of having some skills that are in relatively high demand, plus I dumped IT technical work more than 5 years back. I don't even consider London based projects unless they're really interesting to me.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I got a call this morning - I haven't put out an updated CV in just over three years...
    If anything it forced me to update me CV and capability statement. Looks the dogs boll0cks now...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X