• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are things normally this quiet? (first timer in north-west...)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finished a gig in the North West last Friday (Preston/Lytham, I'm sure as a Preston resident you can guess where), in fact I chose not to extend it as I needed some time off. I have several potential new gigs lined up so I wasn't concerned about finishing the old one.

There is work out there, but it's entirely down to a few factors whether you can get the work as a Contractor:-
    Your skills and how much they are in demand.
    Your experience.
    How much value you add outside of your basic skillset.
    How flexible you are on location, rate and task.

In IT technical skills (the field I used to work in, I gave up being a techie some years ago) there is a massive amount of competition and the current economic climate won't help.

In my experience the months of June, July and August are a waste of time when it comes to looking for a new gig as the holiday silly season typically puts most hiring into slow motion or complete stop.

Comment

Interestingly, I just referred a couple of potential contractors onto my agent at Hays and she replied by stating that the contracting market has slowed down considerably.

However I see a lot of jobs out there and get quite a few emails for PM roles, but the odd 2 I applied for (hardly an exercise in job hunting), I heard nothing back.

Make of it what you will, but for first time contractors I agree it's not the best time to be on the bench.

That said, I have read numerous articles in publications such as CityAM and others that state contractors are in a much better position to survive the credit crunch than permies because what companies are looking for now is a flexible professional with a lifespan matching the project duration.

And London is where it's at in any case.

P

Comment

I live in the north west on the Fylde Coast. I've been contracting since 1997. The closest jobs to home I've had have been SE Manchester and Liverpool.

Im currently doing a 160 mile a day commute 4 days a week. The contract market in the north west is and has been very week. Expect either a long commute or working away from home.

If you cant put up with that, forget contracting.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I'm based anywhere there is work.

Interestingly enough I've been enjoying the last few weeks of rest. Only recently have a stepped up a gear in looking for some more work. I dolled up the CV put it on the usual sites and wait for something to bite.

Nadda not one nibble. I thought crumbs the bottom has fallen out me secure market...

Check the websites and the little tiny box in the conner that read 'make CV searchable' was unchecked.

nearly 10 calls today, 4 serious enquiries.

DOHH!!!!!!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I'm based anywhere there is work.

Interestingly enough I've been enjoying the last few weeks of rest. Only recently have a stepped up a gear in looking for some more work. I dolled up the CV put it on the usual sites and wait for something to bite.

Nadda not one nibble. I thought crumbs the bottom has fallen out me secure market...

Check the websites and the little tiny box in the conner that read 'make CV searchable' was unchecked.

nearly 10 calls today, 4 serious enquiries.

DOHH!!!!!!

I got a call this morning - I haven't put out an updated CV in just over three years...

Comment

Oddly enough, I've had two calls, and 4 emails today after weeks of nothing. I don't my my CV on anywhere.

Maybe the lull is breaking now we've tipped over into July.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I got a call this morning - I haven't put out an updated CV in just over three years...
                If anything it forced me to update me CV and capability statement. Looks the dogs boll0cks now...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I am from Lancaster. I have been contract for 10 years. I have worked no days in Lancashire in that time.
                  Go where the work is, make sure the rate covers your costs. Commuting is easier by plane to the mainland than train to the South and offers a better lifestyle.

Plan B is your getting out of IT plan.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    I am from Lancaster. I have been contract for 10 years. I have worked no days in Lancashire in that time.
                    Go where the work is, make sure the rate covers your costs. Commuting is easier by plane to the mainland than train to the South and offers a better lifestyle.

Plan B is your getting out of IT plan.
                    I must admit I had 3 years on contracts at the Halifax where apart from the time I spent in Leeds I was walking distance from 3 sites and 5 mins drive from another 2 and that was really nice.

I spent the last 15 months living in Lytham which while nice does tend to wear a bit thin after a while.

I generally don't take contracts that are out of sensible commuting range, but I have the luxury of having some skills that are in relatively high demand, plus I dumped IT technical work more than 5 years back. I don't even consider London based projects unless they're really interesting to me.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I'm quite (well very) flexible - I don't mind staying away from home etc - I'm single anyhow so dont have to worry about stuff like that.

I will start looking further afield hence forth

Many thanks,

Pete.
                      PS.. don't you think it's kinda perverse that we work in a field that enabled most things to be done remotely - yet we still have people commuting 140+ miles a day. Ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X