• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma – I welcome advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma – I welcome advice

Hello All,
    First time poster – been contracting for a year, about to start my third in London.

I have been offered Job A. I have an interview for Job B tomorrow. I would much prefer Job B for a number of reasons, but of course its just an interview, not an offer.

Job A wants me to start early next week. I might not hear back from Job B until mid next week. Last contract ended a couple of months ago, so I really want to get back into it and can’t afford to risk not taking Job A.

My question is, should I start Job A and quit after a week (if that’s my notice period) to take my preferred Job B (if offered, of course)

Sorry for the convoluted question. Just don’t know the etiquette of quitting/moving.

Thanks all!

Don't take A with the aim to quitting in a week. Thats very bad.

I'd leave things as late as I could with possible chance you may be left with nothing.

Safe bet, take Job A, risky bet, wait for B and time things wrong and end up with nothing.

Simple as that I would imagine.

TM

Comment

How long is job A for? How long is job B for?

Comment

As well as what's been said above, I would be honest with Job B and tell them you have an offer to start ASAP and hence need to know within a couple of days whether or not they want you.

The client will admire your honestly and also see that you are in-demand.

Comment

You have to get into business mode and start thinking of the needs of your customers. Be professional. I know other disagree with me and say follow the money.
          If you take a contract be determined to finish it no matter what.
          Consider how you would feel if you had agreed a contract with a builder for example and after two weeks they buggered off.

If you develope a reputation as unreliable you may struggle to get work at a later date. That does somewhat depend on your arena and skill set.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            You have to get into business mode and start thinking of the needs of your customers. Be professional. I know other disagree with me and say follow the money.
            Consider how you would feel if you had agreed a contract with a builder for example and after two weeks they buggered off.

If you develope a reputation as unreliable you may struggle to get work at a later date. That does somewhat depend on your arena and skill set.
            I agree!
            Last edited by Integrity; 6 June 2008, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I totaly agree with LG. I've been in this situation a few times and the answer for me has always been the professional one. If you agree to Job A then stick with that decision. If you try to play devils advocate you are likely to end up loosing both.

Consider your situation, make a decision and stick to it.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions!

Hi all,
                A decision has been made. Job B made me an offer a couple of hours after the interview. I have accepted Job B and declined Job A.
                I know I had a verbal agreement with Job A but I never signed a contract. I do feel bad and maybe shouldn’t have accepted Job A in the first place, but B came at a really fast pace late on. The money was the same, so it wasn’t a financial decision, but B really will be the best option.
                Agent for A accused me of being unprofessional though. Feel bad but happy I got the job I was after.

Thanks for all your opinions. Might have to avoid applying for jobs with that agent next time, do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  As well as what's been said above, I would be honest with Job B and tell them you have an offer to start ASAP and hence need to know within a couple of days whether or not they want you.

The client will admire your honestly and also see that you are in-demand.
                  WHS

Comment

you could take A, ask B if you can do it in three months. (A sort of back to back AB, like an ABBA)

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X