• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dilemma – I welcome advice"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiny Iota View Post
    Hi all,
    A decision has been made. Job B made me an offer a couple of hours after the interview. I have accepted Job B and declined Job A.
    I know I had a verbal agreement with Job A but I never signed a contract. I do feel bad and maybe shouldn’t have accepted Job A in the first place, but B came at a really fast pace late on. The money was the same, so it wasn’t a financial decision, but B really will be the best option.
    Agent for A accused me of being unprofessional though. Feel bad but happy I got the job I was after.

Thanks for all your opinions. Might have to avoid applying for jobs with that agent next time, do you think?
    I disagree! Agent knows you can get jobs - will be impressed and love to place you again. It is business not personal.

Personally I only ever accept jobs subject to signed contract anyway - to try to avoid any bad feelings if above situation arises. Agents are quick enough to offer jobs verbally than not follow up with paper contract - it is not worth the bother of litigation is it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    you could take A, ask B if you can do it in three months. (A sort of back to back AB, like an ABBA)

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    As well as what's been said above, I would be honest with Job B and tell them you have an offer to start ASAP and hence need to know within a couple of days whether or not they want you.

The client will admire your honestly and also see that you are in-demand.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Tiny Iota
    replied
    Thanks for the opinions!

Hi all,
    A decision has been made. Job B made me an offer a couple of hours after the interview. I have accepted Job B and declined Job A.
    I know I had a verbal agreement with Job A but I never signed a contract. I do feel bad and maybe shouldn’t have accepted Job A in the first place, but B came at a really fast pace late on. The money was the same, so it wasn’t a financial decision, but B really will be the best option.
    Agent for A accused me of being unprofessional though. Feel bad but happy I got the job I was after.

Thanks for all your opinions. Might have to avoid applying for jobs with that agent next time, do you think?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You have to get into business mode and start thinking of the needs of your customers. Be professional. I know other disagree with me and say follow the money.
    If you take a contract be determined to finish it no matter what.
    Consider how you would feel if you had agreed a contract with a builder for example and after two weeks they buggered off.

If you develope a reputation as unreliable you may struggle to get work at a later date. That does somewhat depend on your arena and skill set.
    I totaly agree with LG. I've been in this situation a few times and the answer for me has always been the professional one. If you agree to Job A then stick with that decision. If you try to play devils advocate you are likely to end up loosing both.

Consider your situation, make a decision and stick to it.

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You have to get into business mode and start thinking of the needs of your customers. Be professional. I know other disagree with me and say follow the money.
    Consider how you would feel if you had agreed a contract with a builder for example and after two weeks they buggered off.

If you develope a reputation as unreliable you may struggle to get work at a later date. That does somewhat depend on your arena and skill set.
    I agree!
    Last edited by Integrity; 6 June 2008, 11:54.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    As well as what's been said above, I would be honest with Job B and tell them you have an offer to start ASAP and hence need to know within a couple of days whether or not they want you.

The client will admire your honestly and also see that you are in-demand.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    How long is job A for? How long is job B for?

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Don't take A with the aim to quitting in a week. Thats very bad.

I'd leave things as late as I could with possible chance you may be left with nothing.

Safe bet, take Job A, risky bet, wait for B and time things wrong and end up with nothing.

Simple as that I would imagine.

TM

Leave a comment:

• Tiny Iota
    started a topic Dilemma – I welcome advice

Dilemma – I welcome advice

Hello All,
    First time poster – been contracting for a year, about to start my third in London.

I have been offered Job A. I have an interview for Job B tomorrow. I would much prefer Job B for a number of reasons, but of course its just an interview, not an offer.

Job A wants me to start early next week. I might not hear back from Job B until mid next week. Last contract ended a couple of months ago, so I really want to get back into it and can’t afford to risk not taking Job A.

My question is, should I start Job A and quit after a week (if that’s my notice period) to take my preferred Job B (if offered, of course)

Sorry for the convoluted question. Just don’t know the etiquette of quitting/moving.

Thanks all!

Working...
X