• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Want The Following...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Want The Following...

Hi all,

my brother just secured his first contract. Waiting for his paperwork to come through.

The Agency (Modis) however have asked for the following information:

Information required:
    Certificate of Incorporation
    VAT Certificate
    Public Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance £500k minimum for each
    Copy of passport photo page
    2 references (email and telephone)

Some if it seems questionable to me. Especially the bit about references. What should he do?

Further, the email also contains the following text:

Formal contracts are in the process of being released to you but the details are as follows: The contract will commence on <date> and is scheduled to run initially for x months / x weeks, it will be reviewed during this time and it is possible that it will be extended beyond this date.

The rates, as agreed, are £x per day subject to Limited Company status totalling £x (+ VAT) for a standard working week of 5 days per week. Modis pay monthly and your Limited Company account will be credited within 3 working days of receipt of invoice.

Please reply upon receipt to confirm your acceptance of the above terms, subject to contract. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your commitment during this process and we look forward to a long and successful partnership with you.

Is he ok to reply to this? I dont like the whole "confirm acceptance" business in case they are trying to tie hiw down into something,

Thanks for any advice,
    TM

Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Hi all,

my brother just secured his first contract. Waiting for his paperwork to come through.

The Agency (Modis) however have asked for the following information:

Information required:
    Certificate of Incorporation
    VAT Certificate
    Public Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance £500k minimum for each
    Copy of passport photo page
    2 references (email and telephone)

Some if it seems questionable to me. Especially the bit about references. What should he do?

Further, the email also contains the following text:

Formal contracts are in the process of being released to you but the details are as follows: The contract will commence on <date> and is scheduled to run initially for x months / x weeks, it will be reviewed during this time and it is possible that it will be extended beyond this date.

The rates, as agreed, are £x per day subject to Limited Company status totalling £x (+ VAT) for a standard working week of 5 days per week. Modis pay monthly and your Limited Company account will be credited within 3 working days of receipt of invoice.

Please reply upon receipt to confirm your acceptance of the above terms, subject to contract. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your commitment during this process and we look forward to a long and successful partnership with you.

Is he ok to reply to this? I dont like the whole "confirm acceptance" business in case they are trying to tie hiw down into something,

Thanks for any advice,
    TM
    Personally :-
    Certificate of Incorporation - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
    VAT Certificate - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
    Public Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance - why do they need it?
    Copy of passport photo page - why do they need it?
    2 references (email and telephone) - not a chance in hell

"confirm acceptance" - sounds like they are trying to agree the basic terms so any mistakes can be corrected asap. I would reply in a wooly way.

Comment

Modis pay monthly and your Limited Company account will be credited within 3 working days of receipt of invoice
      Sounds good to me.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Everything seems OK to me, apart from the reference fishing. Copy of photo page in passport is becoming quite common it seems.

Comment

If the contract has been landed then these are all legit requests
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys,

much appreciated.

TM

Comment

Hi all, update:

Modis replied with the following:

References will be taken by Modis as part of our agreement with <client>, please supply relevant details.

Is it worth calling the client to ask? I dont want to piss anyone off.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Personally :-
                Certificate of Incorporation - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
                VAT Certificate - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
                Public Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance - why do they need it?
                Copy of passport photo page - why do they need it?
                2 references (email and telephone) - not a chance in hell

"confirm acceptance" - sounds like they are trying to agree the basic terms so any mistakes can be corrected asap. I would reply in a wooly way.
                Because the client requires it, pretty standard these days.

I spent 3 years on contracts from Modis and I found them to be nothing but professional in every aspect, bought me lunch on quite a few occasions too!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                  Hi all, update:

Modis replied with the following:

References will be taken by Modis as part of our agreement with <client>, please supply relevant details.

Is it worth calling the client to ask? I dont want to piss anyone off.

TM
                  Just get a couple of mates who you've worked with before to give references.

I've given a few before and it's normally a call that last a couple of minutes asking where you worked, a couple of quick 1-5 rating questions and then on to the "does your company have any contractor needs over the next 3-6 months that our agency could help you with".

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                    Just get a couple of mates who you've worked with before to give references.

I've given a few before and it's normally a call that last a couple of minutes asking where you worked, a couple of quick 1-5 rating questions and then on to the "does your company have any contractor needs over the next 3-6 months that our agency could help you with".

Thanks for the advice,

seeing as thought he was permie before this, I was thinking it would probably be fine for him to give 2 actual references.

TM

Comment

Working...
                    X