• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Want The Following..."

Collapse

• brianbetter
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    More cliches

yawn
    you name gives it away.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by brianbetter View Post
    I am a pimp and it is part of our agreed quality procedures that we take references. Yes it can be a marketing tool, but most importantly, it helps us to prove that the CVs we are forwarding to our clients are not a complete fabrication. As an agency, our clients have the right to audit our systems to check we are working legally and efficiently and references are one of the few ways we have of checking out that people have actually been doing what they say they have been doing.

Yes, it is easy to make up references and / or get referees to lie for you but what's the point? At the end of the day we are trying to keep the market strong and trustworthy by ensuring that we only deal with reputable contractors.
    More cliches

yawn

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    As it is as contract stage their requests are not only reasonable but required by the Agency Regulations

Now on the other hand, if they are asking you to opt out of the regulations they become a lot less reasonable

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by SillyMilly View Post
    I'm working for Modis too - only gave one reference (and that not until after I'd received the contract) - they called and checked, not pushy or trying to get leads. They pay weekly, if the timesheet is in by Tuesday the money hits the bank on Thursday - if the timesheet's not in til Wednesday the money arrives Sat / Monday.

I'm not unimpressed by them!
    Thanks SillyMilly.

It is good to know

TM

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by brianbetter View Post
    I am a pimp and it is part of our agreed quality procedures that we take references. Yes it can be a marketing tool, but most importantly, it helps us to prove that the CVs we are forwarding to our clients are not a complete fabrication. As an agency, our clients have the right to audit our systems to check we are working legally and efficiently and references are one of the few ways we have of checking out that people have actually been doing what they say they have been doing.

Yes, it is easy to make up references and / or get referees to lie for you but what's the point? At the end of the day we are trying to keep the market strong and trustworthy by ensuring that we only deal with reputable contractors.

You have missed the fact that he has had the interview and been offered the position.

TM

Leave a comment:

• SillyMilly
    replied
    I'm working for Modis too - only gave one reference (and that not until after I'd received the contract) - they called and checked, not pushy or trying to get leads. They pay weekly, if the timesheet is in by Tuesday the money hits the bank on Thursday - if the timesheet's not in til Wednesday the money arrives Sat / Monday.

I'm not unimpressed by them!

Leave a comment:

• brianbetter
    replied
    References

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Thanks for the resplies guy,

DiscoStu, very useful info.

Will pass on to my brother and will presume all is well.

Thanks all
    TM

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Hi all, update:

Modis replied with the following:

References will be taken by Modis as part of our agreement with <client>, please supply relevant details.

Is it worth calling the client to ask? I dont want to piss anyone off.

TM
    I'm currently with Modis, they did check references but didn't do any fishing and haven't done any since. As far as agencies go they're actually really good, always pay on time and haven't got anything wrong yet.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    If you do decide to give references out then make sure you ask the referee first. Tell Modis you're making sure it's OK to release peoples details and you'll pass the information on as and when.

After all, would you want a call out of the blue from an agency trying to sell you replacements? And you don't want to piss off people who are willing to give you a reference by 'surprising' them with an agency phone call.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    Just get a couple of mates who you've worked with before to give references.

I've given a few before and it's normally a call that last a couple of minutes asking where you worked, a couple of quick 1-5 rating questions and then on to the "does your company have any contractor needs over the next 3-6 months that our agency could help you with".

Thanks for the advice,

seeing as thought he was permie before this, I was thinking it would probably be fine for him to give 2 actual references.

TM

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Hi all, update:

References will be taken by Modis as part of our agreement with <client>, please supply relevant details.

TM
    Just get a couple of mates who you've worked with before to give references.

I've given a few before and it's normally a call that last a couple of minutes asking where you worked, a couple of quick 1-5 rating questions and then on to the "does your company have any contractor needs over the next 3-6 months that our agency could help you with".

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Personally :-
    Certificate of Incorporation - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
    VAT Certificate - fine if limited(I use umbrella)
    Public Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance - why do they need it?
    Copy of passport photo page - why do they need it?
    2 references (email and telephone) - not a chance in hell

"confirm acceptance" - sounds like they are trying to agree the basic terms so any mistakes can be corrected asap. I would reply in a wooly way.
    Because the client requires it, pretty standard these days.

I spent 3 years on contracts from Modis and I found them to be nothing but professional in every aspect, bought me lunch on quite a few occasions too!

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Hi all, update:

TM

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies guys,

much appreciated.

TM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X