• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 years fix term contract in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 years fix term contract in Switzerland

Hi all

I'm considering a 2 years fix term contract in Switzerland. I've never worked there before but i would be keen to experience living there. Is there anything i should be aware of in regards to contract clauses, conditions, etc. In particular, what i'd like to know is: will i be allowed to stay in Switzerland after the 2 years contract has expired and then look for a new contract with the same agency or another agency ? Are there any particular work / residency restrictions i should be aware of ? I'm an EU national.
    Last edited by pippo; 26 April 2008, 11:26.
    http://www.privacyinternational.org/
    http://www.no2id.net/

Edit: As original link is out of date, this one might be more relevant (for legal and/or living experience help).

Expatica Switzerland
    Last edited by SizeZero; 26 April 2008, 22:19.
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

The link is out of date. EU citzens have no restrictions when it comes to looking for a job, so you can stay in Switzerland and look for a job if your contract expires. Work and residential permits are automatic of you have a contract. Effectively Switzerland is now in the EU.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        ... EU citzens have no restrictions when it comes to looking for a job, so you can stay in Switzerland and look for a job if your contract expires. Work and residential permits are automatic of you have a contract. Effectively Switzerland is now in the EU.
        Thanks BlasterBates for this information. Just to be absolutely clear, does this mean that i could stay in Switzerland for as long as i want (no time limits), while searching for a new contract, after my initial contract has ended ? This is the case in the UK for an EU national. Or will i only be allowed to stay without working until my residence permit expires ? If so, can i renew my (expired) residence permit while not in work in Switzerland ?
        Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but I'm not 100% clear on what's the purpose / point of residence permit in Switzerland for an EU national.

Comment

It's not so much a work permit as an identity card. There are different types, that give different rights, and there are many non-EU people working here. But there's no quota for EU citizens, and you can work anywhere and for anyone without reapplying. There would have to be an astoundingly good reason for you not to be issued a work permit. It is a very serious offence to work in CH without a work permit.

Look carefully at your contract, especially with regards to handcuff clauses. You could end up being unable to work through any other agency.

Which city will you be in?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by pippo View Post
            Thanks BlasterBates for this information. Just to be absolutely clear, does this mean that i could stay in Switzerland for as long as i want (no time limits), while searching for a new contract, after my initial contract has ended ? This is the case in the UK for an EU national. Or will i only be allowed to stay without working until my residence permit expires ? If so, can i renew my (expired) residence permit while not in work in Switzerland ?
            Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but I'm not 100% clear on what's the purpose / point of residence permit in Switzerland for an EU national.
            I'm not sure, but certainly since last year the restrictions have been relaxed. What has certainly changed is that a Swiss company can emplyoy EU nationals without having to get permission, normally you are issued with a 6 month permit which is then renewed every six months; if you have a permanent job you can get a 5 year residential permit. Even if you lose your job and the 6 month permit runs out, normally it would be renewed, but how many times I'm not sure.

I think that the Swiss authorities can still decide not renew your residency, but provided you're not a "sponger" i.e. longterm unemployed living off the state, this shouldn't be a problem.

What you can do is set up a business in Switzerland, and work through the company else where eg. UK, some people do this.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 April 2008, 08:22.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              ... Look carefully at your contract, especially with regards to handcuff clauses. You could end up being unable to work through any other agency.

Which city will you be in?
              Thanks BlasterBates and NotAllThere for the info. I'm much more clear now on the residence / work permit issue.

The city would be Basel. Not too sure what to expect in terms of living there as opposed to London. From my own research on the web, i believe there would not be much difference in costs of living. But i might be wrong. Quality of life should be better, considering the size of the city (Basel has about 170000 inhabitants) and things like air quality, transport. One drag is that i do not speak German, i hope i will be able to socialize and meet new people by speaking in English tough. One thing that appeals to me is the possible easy connections to France, Germany and Zurich. I'm pondering at the moment, anyway i'm at early stages of interviews so it's not sure i would get the contract.

Anyone lived in Basel who might be able to share some experiences ?

Comment

I live near Basel. Basel is in many ways the least Swiss of the German speaking cantons. Many Baslers refer to the inhabitants of the other cantons as "the Swiss". Historically, they have a more outward looking attitude. It is said that the best thing to come from Zürich is the last train to Basel.

Basic German will be helpful, but it isn't necessary. I know people who've been here over five years and don't really speak any German at all. Of course, many Swiss don't speak German either - they speak a rather hard to understand dialect. French and Italian are useful, as many shop workers and manual workers (e.g. garage mechanics) speak these languages.

Air quality depends on where you chose to live. There are areas to avoid.

Ski slopes are about 90 minutes drive away.

If you've any specific questions, drop me a pm.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X