• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term gig for IR35 reasons??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    On the other hand any gig is an opportunity to learn something new and make contacts… I wish I hadn’t become so lazy, bench time is bad for the soul.
    You are heading towards can't be arsed-dom. Don't be like me - get out of the house now before you start looking forward to the property makeover shows. Six weeks extra cash in the bank is not to be sniffed at either.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The best thing about short term projects here and there is that they look good on the brochures.

Comment

I tend to prefer shorter gigs, partly because the longer ones start to feel too "permie", partly beacuse I get bored easily, but also to minimise risk from IR35...

I'lll qualify the IR35 risk bit - since IR35 is (as has already been stated) assessed on a per contract basis, the shorter the contract , the less potential tax risks there are in the event that Hector comes knocking and moves the goalposts again to try an fit it inside IR35.

So hence I'd rather have 4 x 3 month contracts (at different clients) than 1 x 12 month one. That's 4 investigations needed instead of 1
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

So hence I'd rather have 4 x 3 month contracts (at different clients) than 1 x 12 month one. That's 4 investigations needed instead of 1
          No, it's one investigation as far as Hector is concerened. You, howeer, will be filling out a 200-question factsheet for each one and explaining 90% of it in minute detail for the next three years.

Hector doesn't care how much work is involved and he's not that bothered about the amount recovered. His bonus is assessed on successful results, not gross recovery. Otherwise they'd be talking to Philip Green and friends.

Do short contracts by all means, but don't kid yourself it has any impact on IR35 whatsoever
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            No, it's one investigation as far as Hector is concerened. You, howeer, will be filling out a 200-question factsheet for each one and explaining 90% of it in minute detail for the next three years.

Hector doesn't care how much work is involved and he's not that bothered about the amount recovered. His bonus is assessed on successful results, not gross recovery. Otherwise they'd be talking to Philip Green and friends.

Do short contracts by all means, but don't kid yourself it has any impact on IR35 whatsoever
            Fair enough - I see your point, but they still have to prove that each contract fails IR35 don't they?
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I had the impression that for gigs under 28 days they weren't interested...
              I think you will find that in Hansard in the general discussion, but it didn't make it into the statute of course.

There is somebody on here who I think declared a 3 dayer as caught.

Comment

Working...
              X