• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Progression towards Project Management...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to get a few opinions before I make a critical decision...

The decision is whether I want to take a Senior PHP Developer role, or a Technical Analyst role, and which one will lead me closer to getting a Junior Project Management position in the near future.

Personally, I think that the Analyst role is closer in relation to project management, and would probably benefit me more in the long run and as far as experience goes (project life cycle, management, etc).

What do you all think? I've been a PHP developer for the last 3-4 years, if that helps in constructing your opinions...

I didn't think anybody did PHP anymore...
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Analysis is the core skill for a PM, technical expertise isn't. Plus all the soft skills of course, like people and time management. The more you learn about extracting what people mean from what they say, and planning how to turn that into a deliverable end product the better.

And remember, the first question you'll be asked as a prospective PM is "What have you delivered", not "What have you taken part in delivering"...

HTH
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not suited

Ex-developers make the worst PMs - I've seen some in my time. Don't let me stop you though.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Analysis is the core skill for a PM, technical expertise isn't. Plus all the soft skills of course, like people and time management. The more you learn about extracting what people mean from what they say, and planning how to turn that into a deliverable end product the better.

And remember, the first question you'll be asked as a prospective PM is "What have you delivered", not "What have you taken part in delivering"...

HTH
          I guess that answers my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            Ex-developers make the worst PMs - I've seen some in my time. Don't let me stop you though.
            Not all developers are the same though. I wouldn't say that I'm a stereotypical developer.

Comment

Ex-developers make the worst PMs
              I reckon you're right. I think I would make a terrible PM. Best stick to the coding!
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Ex-developers make the worst PMs...
                Yep, too intelligent.

Reduce their IQ by 100% and give them a frontal lobotomy and they should do fine... might still be overqualified though...
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

REGRESSING

Comment

I'd be surprised if many experienced contractors would have any useful advice on how to become a project manager. The longer you work the more you realise that the boot is certainly not on the project manager's foot. They're often bullied by senior management and any practical skills they may have had to get them the job quickly become out-dated within a couple of years leaving them stuck.

Those who are gifted managers will avoid getting themselves pigeon-holed in project management.

If you bail out a couple of project managers by getting the job done for them then you find yourself in a much more satisfying position.

Don't give up and be a project manager, get good at something instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X