• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roaming Phone number and address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on the basis that RichieRich restarted a 3 year old thread I guess the company he's touting is his own.

Loved the 'rather' cheap comment.

Not the cheapest then, eh Richie?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

With Skype being non-standard, what do you think of Voipfone ? Is is worth using them instead of Skype?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadKenny
        Is that a geographical number (i.e. 01xxx etc) or an 0845 / 0870 ?

Reading around, that's using Skype-In. You have to pay extra for that I think?

Still a non-standard service though (well, like with Microsoft it will become standard just through popularity, but Skype are ignoring the agreed VoIP standards and the wealth of hardware available).
        Sorry, I've no idea what the number range is allocated.

I don't recall the requirement was to find a free service, just one that followed the owner around.

It doesn't matter that Skype is non standard, that's between the box and the network, it doesn't affect the other party to the call. There are other 'Skype' type VoIP boxes that one can buy:

http://www.vonage.co.uk/

tim

Comment

If you're using Skype just as a means of getting a number anyone can call from a regular phone, then yeah it's probably okay.

If you want a service where other VoIP users can call you, it's limited to just the Skype network, but yeah that wasn't the original requirement.

As for the number type, the only reason I ask is because many just offer an 0870 or similar which does put people off calling because of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            I moved to NTL once under this impression that it could not possibly be worse than BT. Oh how wrong I was........

BT may take an age to do anything and send you constantly round the house, but they do eventually deliver, NTL sadly don't even know what the word deliver means.

La lal la not listening. Everything will go fine and I'll be saving money over Demon/BT. La la la

Comment

Originally posted by dmini
              DON'T DO NTHell

Seriously - its fine until you have a problem, then it goes downhill fast. I'm speaking from personal experience, but I have friends whose phone line was broken for months, another who was threatened with legal action for a bill that wasn't valid.
              They came round door-to-door earlier this year and claimed they had sorted out all their customer service issues - but I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
              They were quite popular round here initially - as our TV reception is useless in many parts of donut city, but so many had bad experiences.
              I know of two companies who have had issues being paid for regular work they did for them. One regularly suspended production for them, for months at a time, until bills were settled, the other decided to cut their links.

DON'T DO NTHell

See my other la la la post

I'm not cancelling BT until NTL is in and working s if they feck it up they can bugger off and I'll have no downtime.

Comment

The problem is they'll 'feck it up' later on and then you get into the nightmare of trying to call them out. If you manage to get them to come out they won't turn up at the agreed time or at all, and then when they do they'll make a hash of it.

Comment

Whe I was with them I had a 2mbit cable line. One day an amplifier died in the green box outside whee I was living. It took them 4 weeks to diagnose the problem and once they had diagnosed it they refused to do anything until they got more complaints. 7 months later I was still getting a connection roughly equivalent to a 14.4 modem with them sending engineers round about once a month who who have a fiddle, then go outside and come back in and tell me the amplifer in the green box outside was dodgy and needed to be replaced. it was at that point my BT line came back with a nice working ADSL connection. It took me a further 2 months to get a refund for all the money they had been taking out of my account via direct debit.

My service highlights were as follows:
                  • Being told "Well what do you want me to do about it" after phoning up to tell them my internet still wasn't working and I was still being billed.
                  • Arguning with some women for 15 minutes when she told me I couldn't cancel my account on the phone. She finally agreed to cancel my account, took all the details and finished with, "if you just pop that into an envelope for us we will process it ASAP......"
                  • Knowing more about networking than thier third line support who was trying to tell me that it was a DNS problem that was preventing me from pinging/tracerouting an IP address.
                  All in all a utter bag of tulipe when it stops working, but fine up until that potin (as with most things in life).

Comment

Working...
                  X