• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie - Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - Advice Please

Hi all,

I am currently searching for my first contract and I have now been offered a position with an oil company basically as an analyst / programmer (c#, sql). The job seems ok and is guaranteed for a year minimum with high probability of renewal. The thing is the agency who I am going through have only quoted me a rate of £220 a day and my understanding is that this is quite low. What I want to know is am I correct or is it the case that the year contract time compensates for this? If it is low what do you guys think I should try and shoot for?

Thanks,
    Iain

Originally posted by cuthill76 View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently searching for my first contract and I have now been offered a position with an oil company basically as an analyst / programmer (c#, sql). The job seems ok and is guaranteed for a year minimum with high probability of renewal. The thing is the agency who I am going through have only quoted me a rate of £220 a day and my understanding is that this is quite low. What I want to know is am I correct or is it the case that the year contract time compensates for this? If it is low what do you guys think I should try and shoot for?

Thanks,
    Iain
    Sounds low to me, but then I don't know what the shape of the c# market is right now, how much experience you have, and how good you are.

Comment

Originally posted by cuthill76 View Post
      Hi all,

Thanks,
      Iain
      There is no such thing a guaranteed 1 year imo therefore I wouldn't let an agent or anybody else argue my rate down with that excuse.

Comment

How much would (do) you earn as a permie? What is that worth as a daily rate?

When I first went contracting I converted my permie salary, plus all benefits, into daily rate. From that I worked out that I needed at least around £350 a day to match that. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than £500 to make up for the risk factor.

Comment

Length vs Rate

OK - apart from all the other stuff (is it worth it), the guy is asking a sensible qn (v. rare for a newbie), so it deserves some answer:
          Although there is no guarantee for how long it may go, 12 m for a 1st contract isn't bad esp. as things stand atm.
          My 'discounts' upon renewal (if they like me & vv) are:
          10% for 6 m
          20% for 12m
          (as opposed to the 3/m std one)
          so eg from £ 500, may go down to £ 400 for a 12/monther.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            OK - apart from all the other stuff (is it worth it), the guy is asking a sensible qn (v. rare for a newbie), so it deserves some answer:
            Although there is no guarantee for how long it may go, 12 m for a 1st contract isn't bad esp. as things stand atm.
            10% for 6 m
            20% for 12m
            Personally I never reduce rate when the contract is a long one. Increase it for a short one...absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
              10% for 6 m
              20% for 12m
              Discounts? You have to be kidding. Unless you work in a very commonly available skillset there shouldn't be nothing like a 20% discount. Furthermore, once you're into a client they will grow to know and love you, so long as you are good at the task. You should look to increase your rate over time.

A 20% discount is a huge compromise to make - you may as well work 2 months less in the year, you'd be better off.

Comment

On the other hand..

On a 12/m contract, I can factor and take time off (up to 6 wks easily) for Xmas/Easter/summer without worrying, also assuming it's local and everything. Maybe I'm over cautious, but times are hard (and getting harder?)
                Obviously the higher the rate, the higher to lose (but also more to gain long-term).
                I wouldn't go below what I think the avge for my skillset.

Comment

your contract is only as long as the notice period written in it. If the project goes tits up and they want to make reductions you'll be the first to go and notice period will be all you get at best. so 1 yr, 3 months, it's all irrelevant because you cant control the finance purse strings of the client you work for.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    your contract is only as long as the notice period written in it. If the project goes tits up and they want to make reductions you'll be the first to go and notice period will be all you get at best. so 1 yr, 3 months, it's all irrelevant because you cant control the finance purse strings of the client you work for.
                    Correctamondo. Client recently offered me 6 month extension as opposed to previously offered 1 year. Notice period still 1 month so I said - yeah, what's the difference chief?

If they need me in 6 months' time they will extend me again. If not then it's ate logo amigos.

Comment

Working...
                    X