• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bored, bored, bored,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored, bored, bored,

Hi all,

Just looking for general advice on how the hell I get out of helpdesk/desktop
    support and into something worthwhile and more importantly more rewarding.

Have been a contractor for approx 4 years, so know how it all works, just
    seemed do have got stuck in a rut. I'm also sick to death of users, most days
    i could quite happily do a colombine, take the Oozi in, and watch the blood
    drip down the walls.....This can't be healthy!!

Anyway, I really need some inspiration and I think you guys are the ones to do it.

Please prove me right!!

ps, don't be put off by my username, its just my nemesis. They have all the luck.

Two major routes spring to mind - move up the support food chain into second level support and get away from end users. If you want to earn real money, start up the Service Management consultancy ladder - which means ITIL and Prince.

Alternatively, change direction completely...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This is the thing, ITIL is something i'm interested in however, still sounds like a bit of a buzz word at the moment but obviously service delivery is here now, and looks like it'll be that way for sometime.

Prince on the other hand, Im a little worried about if Im honest, spoken to a few quite intelligent people ( at least more so than myself, again an honest statement!! 2 in one day, amazing! ), and there under the impression that its not an easy thing to achieve.

Also, from a clients point of view, I can see the interest in hiring me with the experience I've got and the fact that I'd be an ITIL groupy. But, I suppose what im trying to figure out is, Prince, would I really need it?

Any suggestions for the ITIL route or Prince training would be cool...

Lots of sharks hunting the training arena as ever!

Thanks for all your posts!

Comment

If you have half a brain, PRINCE 2 is easy. The foundation course is multiple choice!
        Will you find it useful? That depends on what sort of roles you want. If you fancy getting into project management, PRINCE is definitely the way to go.

PRINCE 2 itself is just a high-level framework dealing with the implementation stage of the project life cycle.
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Tar v'ery much. ITIL PRINCE looks like the way to go.

Comment

Those little letters wont hurt if you are looking to get out.

Short of some good luck and having friends in the right places about your only choice will be to look at moving up the good chain (as already mentioned). The other option is to get in to project management (your experience on the helpdesk, coupled with ITIL or Prince2 qualifications, would be ideal for this).

Regards

Mailman
            former helpdesk

Comment

All that training costs...

First read up on ITIL/Prince 2 and start putting "ITIL/Prince2 Aware" on your CV. This is legit if you're on a helpdesk.

Cojak: I'm please they kept my little man...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

How is a helpdesk role good for PRINCE/PM?
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

well, maybe not P2 - everyone asks for it, no-one uses it...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I don't believe it .. here you go people offering good logical advice... what happened to this board.. why hasn't anyone diverted this thread yet?? why didn't anyone pick up on the colombian killin blood thingy???

You are loosing it I tell ya!!

Comment

Working...
                    X