• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why clients don't care about IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    WHS.

The big boys at [v.largeclientco] sent the following diktat by email to the whole company on Friday night...

"With immediate effect, it is company policy that all contractors work 5 days per week from company premises."

.... and clearly don't give a toss about the large hole this blows in our IR35 defences.
    It doesn't, provided that your contract doesn't allow them to do this, and you refuse to do it (and get terminated accordingly).

Comment

Walk away??

Far be it from me to advise what others do (or don't), but it seems obvious that the majority of contractors have to work at the client's premises and be offered the type of work that client wishes to allocate to them. This doesn't necessarily negate IR35 as long as other clauses can be inserted. I would never walk out of a contract because the work stipulated wasn't to my liking. I am surprised by tim's reaction, although it could have been influenced by other factors, like location and rate. This is why I always make a point (unlike a lot of others here) of going for a f2f and discussing the reqs before accepting the offer. Not only that, if I haven't worked there before, I'd work out how to get there, travel and accommodation costs, etc etc. It's all very well taking the quick and easy (none or tel/int) option and repenting at leisure.

Comment

Which is ok provided the interviewer doesn't lie to you, I s'pose...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          Far be it from me to advise what others do (or don't), but it seems obvious that the majority of contractors have to work at the client's premises and be offered the type of work that client wishes to allocate to them. This doesn't necessarily negate IR35 as long as other clauses can be inserted. I would never walk out of a contract because the work stipulated wasn't to my liking. I am surprised by tim's reaction, although it could have been influenced by other factors, like location and rate. .
          As well as that it was influenced by the manager's actions. He had talked with me on the first day about a minor infraction (using my phone in the office) that he escalated into a major event, yet he seemed to think that his error didn't even exist, let alone require an apology.

It was clear that the management style in this office was never going to suit me and that given that I had nowhere local to live, I decided to cut my loses.

And in any case, I am actually surprised that you seem to think that being given completely different work to that which you accepted at interview is not a perfectly valid reason for leaving. I am sure that if you interviwed as having, say, 5 years C++ and when you arrived actually knew bugger all about C++ the client would terminate there and then. Why should this not work both ways?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
            As well as that it was influenced by the manager's actions. He had talked with me on the first day about a minor infraction (using my phone in the office) that he escalated into a major event, yet he seemed to think that his error didn't even exist...
            Why did your using your phone annoy him? Can't see how occasional usage would be a prob. Normal in any office nowadays. Tell us more please - against office rules for everyone, was it loud/silly ring tone, many calls taking long time, loud phone voice...

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              Why did your using your phone annoy him? Can't see how occasional usage would be a prob. Normal in any office nowadays. Tell us more please - against office rules for everyone, was it loud/silly ring tone, many calls taking long time, loud phone voice...
              I'm afraid I'm a little bit loud when I'm on the phone. A side effect of being a bit deaf.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Why did your using your phone annoy him?
                It's banned here. Using a personal mobile during normal working hours that is.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                  It's banned here. Using a personal mobile during normal working hours that is.
                  Where the hell is that? Do they want only serfs? Can you go to the toilet without asking?

Was it stated as a condition in advance?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Where the hell is that? Do they want only serfs? Can you go to the toilet without asking?

Was it stated as a condition in advance?
                    whs. Sounds stupid to me.

Comment

Where the hell is that? Do they want only serfs?
                      Sounds like a great work environment which will attract the very best.

Comment

Working...
                      X