• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why clients don't care about IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Sounds like a great work environment which will attract the very best.
    Ever worked for the MOD? Don't see too many phones in secure environments.

Ever been to Thames House, or their friends over the river in Victoria? They take them off you at the door (and your PDA and laptop come to that)

There are some trading floors that ban them and more than a few call centres, since everything has to be recorded (or at least, recordable).

There's a bigger world out there than some can imagine...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Ever been to Thames House, or their friends over the river in Victoria? They take them off you at the door (and your PDA and laptop come to that)

There are some trading floors that ban them and more than a few call centres, since everything has to be recorded (or at least, recordable).

Whilst this is all true he said only personal mobiles were banned giving the impression that work mobiles, blackberry's, PDA's etc that have been handed out to the permies had not. At least that's the way I read it.

Comment

I can imagine these place but I wouldn't work there, because I value my freedom.

Question still stands, was it stated in advance?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Whilst this is all true he said only personal mobiles were banned giving the impression that work mobiles, blackberry's, PDA's etc that have been handed out to the permies had not. At least that's the way I read it.
          Still stands. MI5's people have mobiles - but you don't think they route through Orange or 3Mobile do you?

Similarly an MOD laptop is not a laptop, it's a mobile workstaion with the same network limitations as a proper secure desktop PC.

Fings what look like ducks ain't necessarily ducks you know...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Still stands. MI5's people have mobiles - but you don't think they route through Orange or 3Mobile do you?

Similarly an MOD laptop is not a laptop, it's a mobile workstaion with the same network limitations as a proper secure desktop PC.

Fings what look like ducks ain't necessarily ducks you know...
            Assuming that the OP works for Mi5 to make your case is a little stretch don't you think?

Comment

Assuming that the OP works for Mi5 to make your case is a little stretch don't you think?
              Not at all. I was challenging the blithe assertion that because a client doesn't allow mobiles at the workplace they must be some kind of neo-luddite paranoid. What's the opposite of reductio ad absurdam?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

really?

I was told I could take my in if it didn't have a camera (which it doesn't). This was a visitor, not an employee

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                  really?

I was told I could take my in if it didn't have a camera (which it doesn't). This was a visitor, not an employee

tim
                  I still have an old phone with no camera, which has served me the same way. Not so easy to find now, ISTM.

Comment

Doesn't have to be MI5. I had a gig a few years ago at a company that made security systems; similar rules applied there.

Comment

another for banning mobile and laptops (unless you DONT have a camera on your mobile).

My last client (top 50 company) would not allow me to use a laptop at all, which worried me at first, as I always try and use my own tools to avoid the permie pretending to be a contractor trap.

I've actually found this standard in banking, maybe I've picked the wrong banks!

Comment

Working...
                      X