• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into project management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving into project management

Hello there

I've been .NET developer for some time now, with experience of technical leading and some covering for project managers. I've been coding in general for about seven years now, and while I'm enjoying the current contractor rates in London I'm getting a bit itchy, and seriously considering if I'd be happy in five years approaching 40 and still be coding away.

I've got an opportunity to take a role, for at least six months working with at with four global brands and two digital agencies, as a technical project manager.

The main issue is it's only three days a week, potentially four sometimes, and due to the the project budget the money isn't going to be great compared to what I can earn as a C# web developer now, so I'll be looking at a lot less cash in the short-term.

So, well - just getting it off my chest really, should I take the plunge? It's a gamble, I'll be out the game; I won't be coding at all in this new role, or perhaps I should try and find some .NET work for the other one or two days a week (easier said than done..).

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially if there are any developers out there who have made the move to project management.

Thanks

y x

Personally I'd take it for the experience aspect...

I've been looking to move into Project Management myself, but don't know how I'm going to go about doing it.

From what I've seen and read, project management positions pay more than development positions on average. So, it might be very advantageous for you in the long run.

I'd love to get my foot in the door with that kind of experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Xil3 View Post
      Personally I'd take it for the experience aspect...

I've been looking to move into Project Management myself, but don't know how I'm going to go about doing it.

From what I've seen and read, project management positions pay more than development positions on average. So, it might be very advantageous for you in the long run.

I'd love to get my foot in the door with that kind of experience...
      They pay more because you are in the perfect position to lose the client's money, seriously annoy all the other workers in your team and get the blame for everything. Also, unlike coding, your work is multi-tasked and that takes practice (one reason why ex-Support guys are often better PMs than ex-software ones, they are more used to reactive environments)

It's very satisfying if you get it right, but it's a lot harder than most non-PMs can imagine.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you can afford it, and could shift back easily if desired, then do it. Project Management isn't for everyone - it's easy to do adequately, but very difficult to do well (IMHO) and it's great if you can have a "taster" to see if you like it/ are any good at it.

I made the shift from techie to PM a good few years ago, and have never regretted it. Having at least some technical knowledge will (a) allow you to understand what the techies are telling you, and (b) [possibly] give you some credibility with the techies you work with.

This forum's opinion of PM's is generally not the highest and I can understand why having worked with a few numpty colleagues in my time. But I still think it's worthwhile in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          It's very satisfying if you get it right, but it's a lot harder than most non-PMs can imagine.
          WHS

Comment

They pay more because you are in the perfect position to lose the client's money, seriously annoy all the other workers in your team and get the blame for everything. Also, unlike coding, your work is multi-tasked and that takes practice (one reason why ex-Support guys are often better PMs than ex-software ones, they are more used to reactive environments)

Okay, so what's the best way to move into that kind of role?

Applying for junior project manager positions? I have 4 years technical support experience and 3 year development experience... currently in a senior php dev role...

Comment

I've made the switch a couple of times, it went Ok but I hated it and went back to cushy semi bored coding. If you've got a solid coding background and are half decent then you can always go back. For me the extra money didn't compensate the extra hastle, I'd give it a try and see how it goes.

Comment

What he said - speaking as another PM.

You have to be able to juggle the needs of the people paying the money - budget holders, stakeholders; against the quality of what you're delivering, in the time they're letting you do it in - project management 101. It's great until you're asked to deliver the same thing for less money in half the time.

But as Malv says very cool when it goes right

Comment

Okay, so what's the best way to move into that kind of role?

Applying for junior project manager positions? I have 4 years technical support experience and 3 year development experience... currently in a senior php dev role...
                  How does one get his foot in the door (refer to my original question up top as well)?

Comment

Originally posted by HYpno27 View Post
                    What he said - speaking as another PM.

You have to be able to juggle the needs of the people paying the money - budget holders, stakeholders; against the quality of what you're delivering, in the time they're letting you do it in - project management 101. It's great until you're asked to deliver the same thing for less money in half the time.

But as Malv says very cool when it goes right
                    Slightly off-topic, but I've always loved this quote, and will one day summon the cojones to try it on a client....

"You have a project for me? Cheap, quick, or good; you can have two of the three."

IGMC

Comment

Working...
                    X