• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Credit Check for extension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post

the same lot asked for a copy of my car MOT and insurance once for H&S(!) - just ignored that one as it was mid contract. Quite frankly its none of their business, it serves no purpose except to give some permie somewhere a warm feeling that they have chapter and verse on everyone
    And that is exactly why people are now being checked more throughly, information is power and even the most obscure data is extremely valuable to certain groups of people. Companies especially local and central governments obviously hold lots of personal details but its now normal for even the local plumbers merchant to hold very sensitive data on its personnel under "H&S" or some other ridiculous government rule. Money talks, and no matter what side of the moral street you walk on 10,20,50k for the box folder of vulnerable children or a list of all staffs MOT and insurance details could be handed over without a second thought.

Its not the credit check I object to its what they do with that information after the event that concerns me.......

Comment

Hi Guys,

contract finishes tonight a 5pm and end client wants me in this weekend - to cut a long story short - extension has come through with the added rerquest of the client requiring a personal credit check of all consultants. Need to sign (or not) by 5 - any thoughts?

Personally as with everything else I'm happy for them to crdit check my Ltd but on a personal level the can FA......

jimjamuk
      So what happened.?

Comment

Well up to an hour ago nothing but then I got a note to say that the agency never recieved my faxed contract on Friday (which isnt bad considering I've worked Sat/Sun and Mon under this new one) . So have sent it off again and we'll see over the next couple of days if they want to make something of it no wthey have got it (with hand written amendments). HR at end client has also decieded to ignore my mail request for the current policy and reasons for having it done

Decided to refuse to give it - even if it means I have to walk - exciting times....

jimjamuk

Comment

as for why i shouldn't just hand it over - the same lot asked for a copy of my car MOT and insurance once for H&S(!) - just ignored that one as it was mid contract. Quite frankly its none of their business, it serves no purpose except to give some permie somewhere a warm feeling that they have chapter and verse on everyone
          Possibly slightly O/T but when I had a permie job at a consultancy (no company cars) they started on with this malarkey. I told 'em it was nowt to do with them, if they wanted control over insurance, etc, they could give me a company car. Same thing with driving licence - if I have three points for speeding (I don't) and my job doesn't even involve driving or even driving to work most of the time - what the flip has it got to do with them?

Stupid control freak jobsworths. (IMHO, of course)

Comment

HR at end client has also decieded to ignore my mail request for the current policy and reasons for having it done
            This is the bit I'm especially interested in. Good for you, without a very clear reason I would refuse too. Well done. Very exciting ....

Comment

HR says what is required to provide and what not...

Required (after offer and upon signing contract):
              *some or all of the ones below*
              DOB for a job/contract
              Home address
              Copy of Passport (original to show/take copy) or
              Driving Licence (original to show/take copy)
              References
              Copy of educational/professional qualifications
              Company reg no (optional: copy of certificate)
              Company vat no (optional: copy of certificate)
              Copy of liability insurance
              Personal/Company account details (to get paid!)

NOT Required

Proof of address
              Personal bank statements
              Business bank statements
              Car/other type insurance details

You may think a credit check is not a requirement - however if they insist, I don't think you've got much choice. From what I've read, it seems some people here have worked in medium/small companies with just 1-2 HR people that couldn't be bothered to go through any checks.

Comment

theres always a choice........

mine will be sat in the car park

Comment

theres always a choice........
                  Exactly - mine would be to pull out two fingers and say

"Are these yours.?"

Heard any more.?

Comment

nope......

will let you know if i do though....

i expect its another rushed in decision by someone which they now have to think about because someone has asked why

Comment

As soon as the person in HR provides the same information to your company, then reciprocate

Someone here has been arguing with his agency because they keep demandind to see his passport. I would just tell them that I have no passport and don't drive....
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X