• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving Estimates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rule of estimating: don't let them rush you into it. Even when they say "don't worry, just a very rough ballpark estimate, I won't hold you to it" - they will.

You can caveat all you like and say "best case scenario 4 months +- 20%, worst case 6 months +- 30%": they will write down "4 months" and there will be no going back.

I don't generally agree with the "double it and add some" game - because one of 2 things often happens. Either they've played the game before, and knock you down, and you're back where you started. Or else they'll say "blimey, that's more than twice as costly as we thought - better bin the project now!"

Another approach is to give them a draft plan that you've clearly thought about, and that's broken down to a reasonable degree. Then if you get challenged with "we need it done in half the time" you can say "OK, which of these steps would you like me to skip?". If you can justify your estimates semsibly, nobody's going to force you to cut them. By all means build in some contingency within that though: especially since you're worried you'll underestimate in your enthusiasm, which is indeed the most common newcomer mistake.

Good luck,
    tl

Comment

I've a reasonably intelligent client, so when asked for an estimate, I give them a curve. I.e. if I think it will take 10 days, I'll say 8-15 days, with highest probability being 10. I then get a call-off contract for 15 days - they don't have to use it all.

If on day 6, it looks like I've nearly finished, I'll spend more time surfing.

I recommend reading Yourdon - Death March It gives excellent advice on being in not just death march project environments, including a whole chapter on negotiations.
      Last edited by NotAllThere; 23 March 2008, 07:06.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ed Yourdon - Death March

2nded.

Comment

Okay - quick update because the tulip is semi hitting the fan around here. I put together a quick document with the two options and outlined benefits - emailed Thursday night. Chatted to the guy managing the project first thing on Tuesday morning.

My two options are 60 days and 125 days - originally 110 days but put up by the chap managing the project.

People here are quickly realising that in the 17 days remaining on the contract, neither option is going to happen. There is loads of politics around renewing contractors right now - 5/6 stages of approval. Yes, I am at one of the big banks.

I will keep you updated. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Just to let you know the great news.

The contract extension of 3 months has been approved today!

Comment

Originally posted by youwhut View Post

Good work!

Extra bench funds...
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by youwhut View Post

Comment

Well you'd better get cracking if you've got 125 days work to fit into your 3 months!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Well you'd better get cracking if you've got 125 days work to fit into your 3 months!
                    Yes, I hear what you are saying. Getting a contract extension around here is very difficult - 6 or 7 stages of approval. The project manager's thought was that it would be easier to get a 3 month extension approved rather than the desired 6 months. I have clearly stated that the work to be done will not be completed in 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X