• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving Estimates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In such a creeping scope environment you should probably tell them your estimate is likely to be 80-200% of the final cost.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Don't forget to factor in supplier timescales. For example I was originally hired to do a 3 month contract @ my current place setting up some Solaris gear. The gear only turned up 4 months later...... If you're having to deal with 3rd parties, you need to add a lot more padding....
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by youwhut View Post
        I wasn't entirely clear. When I talk about solution 1 and 2, these are options. Option 1 is the intial idea because they thought (haha) it could be done in the 4 weeks remaining on my contract. Option 2 has become the desirable but will take much longer.
        Oh OK, I'll let you off then

If option 2 is desirable for cost saving/revenue reasons (it must be, surely?) do make a big deal about it and give the client some figures.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          2) Give a best and worst case scenario
          Humm... IMO people only ever see the best case scenario (i.e. they ignore the worst case scenario).

I agree with the poster who said give a range. I'd make the low end of the range my "real" estimate (i.e. not the "best case") and the top end = real + 30%

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Humm... IMO people only ever see the best case scenario (i.e. they ignore the worst case scenario).
            Public sector?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Public sector?
              Nope, commercial. You tell client it will cost between X and Y, then they expect to get it for X even on a T&M project.

Best to caveat the SOW to death, then PCR the client when it all goes t*ts up!

Surely this is common?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Nope, commercial. You tell client it will cost between X and Y, then they expect to get it for X even on a T&M project.

Best to caveat the SOW to death, then PCR the client when it all goes t*ts up!

Surely this is common?
                I agree. If you have caveated in the first place and also manage expectations correctly you will be easily able to reinforce the reasons for the change requests as you present them to the client and reason why it now costs Y as opposed to the initial utopia price of X.

Comment

Fixed price is a potential financial disaster with such a woolly scope. Endless arguments about what was in scope and what was out of scope.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Fixed price is a potential financial disaster with such a woolly scope. Endless arguments about what was in scope and what was out of scope.
                    Fix the scope at the start, and then fleece them on change control.

Seems to work fine for certain large companies supplying the government.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Fix the scope at the start, and then fleece them on change control.

Seems to work fine for certain large companies supplying the government.
                      Not going to disagree. Sounded like the poor old OP hadn't got a hope of fixing a scope for a (6 month???) project and presenting a tender to the client.

Tender in haste, repent at leisure. Myself I'd have declined to tender on the limited info presented here. I'd have put forward a "best guess" plan with key deliverables, milestones, projected end date and offered a day rate for the duration. It's upto the client then. Anything else would be too risky without a detailed spec to tender against from the client.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X