• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV length and number of contracts to include

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV length and number of contracts to include

As the years and the number of contracts build up I'm wondering what I should do with my CV. I like to keep my CV under 3 pages if possible so space is getting tight.

Do I drop the oldest contracts, or abbreviate them severely to only a few lines, and only really go to town on the last two or three I've completed?

Or Should I abbreviate them all to a similar size and just expect to explain everything in the interview?

Anyone any views from a recruiter's perspective, or know what's worked for them in the past?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Personally I include everything but write less for older contracts which are usually less relevent anyway (old technologies etc..). 10 years of contracting means I find it hard to condense into 3 pages but I agree it has to be done! I've had to review CVs in the past and I tend to scan rather than read each line in depth. So making it easy to scan is a plus (e.g. bullet points, clear structure etc..)
    Last edited by Lewis; 19 February 2008, 14:53.

Comment

I use a size 4 font. I find I can get a lot more on a sheet of A3 that way...HTH
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        Personally I include everything but write less for older contracts which are usually less relevent anyway (old technologies etc..). 10 years of contracting means I find it hard to condense into 3 pages but I agree it has to be done! I've had to review CVs in the past and I tend to scan rather than read each line in depth. So making it easy to scan is a plus (e.g. bullet points, clear structure etc..)

Yeah that's the approach I was thinking of doing but wanted to check. I think I've only ever been asked about the last few contracts anyway so putting loads of info about ancient stuff is a bit pointless and probably detremental, when more room can be devoted to more recent stuff.

I've preened it to clear off older technologies, seeing as I still get harrassed by agencies wanting GIS and other stuff I've only ever done in one contract many many moons ago, so pretty much useless to me now. So I only include older technologies related to what I'm using now to show my experience has been solid in those areas. For others I'll just put a bit about the company and what I did. If they're interested they'll ask!
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I've got the last five years in detail (only three roles in my case), the next 12 as one-liners (heading and one line of description). I've ignored my permie life altogether.

Plus of course you've got your Profile, Key Skills and Key Acheivements separated out and bullet-pointed at the top, haven't you...?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I've got the last five years in detail (only three roles in my case), the next 12 as one-liners (heading and one line of description). I've ignored my permie life altogether.

Plus of course you've got your Profile, Key Skills and Key Acheivements separated out and bullet-pointed at the top, haven't you...?

Yeah, first sheet is mostly profile, key skills, and education details, then all the contracts in reverse order, so newest first.

Of course, I'm sure it's never actually seen like that once the agencies have butchered it.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Yeah, first sheet is mostly profile, key skills, and education details, then all the contracts in reverse order, so newest first.

Of course, I'm sure it's never actually seen like that once the agencies have butchered it.
              If you're struggling for space, then I'd be inclined to cut the education, if you have decent experience.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Some might like to see if you have a degree. Especially if it was from a time a degree meant something.

I have no other educational information on my CV. It's irrelevant.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yeah the education bit is probably a bit superfluous, especially the awards I received for sack racing at junior school.

Shame to see them go though, I haven't won anything since then. Nothing else to brag about.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Just had a similar conversation with the head of HR for a global media company. Her and her direct reports look at the last two jobs or at the most last 3 years for contractors.

Quote "We really don't care what a contractor done ten years ago, they are generally only as good as their last 2 contracts anyway."

Comment

Working...
                    X