• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working beyond contract end date: any risks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I always use the "I'd really like to be onsite, but I'm not insured without a signed contract" excuse too. It's amazing how quickly the paperwork will materialise....
    It works well, particularly if you tell them that they wouldn't be insured, either.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And why wouldn't you be insured?

A contract does not have to be written to be a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        It works well, particularly if you tell them that they wouldn't be insured, either.
        I also add that I would be tresspassing on property and committing a criminal
        offence by logging into a computer without 'proper' authorisation.
        not sure if this is correct, but clients always respond positively after this.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
          And why wouldn't you be insured?

A contract does not have to be written to be a contract.
          Not sure what that last bit means.

Generally, I'm not sure if you are insured or not - I've never asked anyone. But the moment you say something like that it shows how seriously you take your commitment to them, and it helps to speed the paperwork process up.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Plus - even though it may not be true, that's what your insurance company has told you, and you wouldn't want them to be without liability and indemnity insurance would you?
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Plus - even though it may not be true, that's what your insurance company has told you, and you wouldn't want them to be without liability and indemnity insurance would you?
              Exactly - I've never checked it out, so it may be wrong. But would the client take that risk, or would they sort out the paperwork for you?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Useful advice

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                  Thanks for the responses guys. Useful advice
                  My first gig ends on Thursday and I used this line yesterday to speed things up - have a meeting today! Once again this forum has provided some invaluable information!

Thanks!!

Fingers crossed for a) an extension and b) a rate rise!!

Comment

Working...
                  X