• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working beyond contract end date: any risks?"

Collapse

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Useful advice
    My first gig ends on Thursday and I used this line yesterday to speed things up - have a meeting today! Once again this forum has provided some invaluable information!

Thanks!!

Fingers crossed for a) an extension and b) a rate rise!!

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Thanks for the responses guys. Useful advice

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Plus - even though it may not be true, that's what your insurance company has told you, and you wouldn't want them to be without liability and indemnity insurance would you?
    Exactly - I've never checked it out, so it may be wrong. But would the client take that risk, or would they sort out the paperwork for you?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Plus - even though it may not be true, that's what your insurance company has told you, and you wouldn't want them to be without liability and indemnity insurance would you?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
    And why wouldn't you be insured?

A contract does not have to be written to be a contract.
    Not sure what that last bit means.

Generally, I'm not sure if you are insured or not - I've never asked anyone. But the moment you say something like that it shows how seriously you take your commitment to them, and it helps to speed the paperwork process up.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It works well, particularly if you tell them that they wouldn't be insured, either.
    I also add that I would be tresspassing on property and committing a criminal
    offence by logging into a computer without 'proper' authorisation.
    not sure if this is correct, but clients always respond positively after this.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    And why wouldn't you be insured?

A contract does not have to be written to be a contract.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I always use the "I'd really like to be onsite, but I'm not insured without a signed contract" excuse too. It's amazing how quickly the paperwork will materialise....
    It works well, particularly if you tell them that they wouldn't be insured, either.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I always use the "I'd really like to be onsite, but I'm not insured without a signed contract" excuse too. It's amazing how quickly the paperwork will materialise....

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    ... let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised ...
    Some of us rely on numpty clients for work! Generally, in the work I do, if they weren't pants organisations, they wouldn't be employing contractors like me to go in and clear up their mess for them.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Personally I'd walk, and let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised and other clients are more worthy of my talents.
    Waddle, Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Do remember if you're working past the end of your contract your insurers will not cover you. Suggest you take a 'holiday' whilst the paperwork turns up. Don't be on site for certain.

Personally I'd walk, and let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised and other clients are more worthy of my talents.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I got a great contract off the back of contractor walking off a situation like this. Unless I have your skill set - stay put.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I've been in this situation.

Ask the agency for a Letter Of Intent and turn up to work on Monday as usual.

Look at it this way: if you stay at home and watch Trisha you won't get paid

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It depends how hard-ball you want to play it.

There will be an implied contract between you and the agency if you continue working. However, if there is something in the contract that says you only get paid if they do, and the client changes their minds, then you could have problems with it.

If you want the paperwork, then the best way to get it sorted is to explain to the client and the agency that you have taken legal advice, and the advice is that your company insurance would not cover you being on site without the paperwork. If you fell down the stairs, then you would not be insured to be there, and nor would the client, and you don't want to put them in that position...

The moment you mention that you aren't insured without paperwork, then they speed it up. Even if they keep reassuring you, you fall back on the line "that's not what my insurance people tell me". I've done that before - mainly to make the agency look bad, when the relationship was falling down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X