• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iprofile???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Its basically a POS.
    point of sale?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      point of sale?

Pile Of Steamingexcrement

Comment

In fact there is an option to delete now (unsubscribe they called it). But they also say that as soon as you send your CV to another agent that uses iProfile you will be signed up again.

You know, there must be a law against this. Any lawyers frequent this site?

Comment

Ask Malvolio if the PCG have got anywhere with this yet
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Angus View Post
            In fact there is an option to delete now (unsubscribe they called it). But they also say that as soon as you send your CV to another agent that uses iProfile you will be signed up again.

You know, there must be a law against this. Any lawyers frequent this site?
            Contractors
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Funnily enough I worked on this bit of software at one point in time (not the website though I hasten to add). Basically the agents have a desktop tool that they use for searching CVs, so presumably they can do much more specific types of searches than they can on the job boards.

Actually software for parsing cvs and uploading details is a reasonably big business in the recruitment world I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
                Funnily enough I worked on this bit of software at one point in time (not the website though I hasten to add). Basically the agents have a desktop tool that they use for searching CVs, so presumably they can do much more specific types of searches than they can on the job boards.

Actually software for parsing cvs and uploading details is a reasonably big business in the recruitment world I believe.
                It's not very smart yet, or agents aren't. Or both.

As we all know, it does (or is made to do) some pretty dumb keyword matching. If you have "database" on your CV, you'll get pinged repeatedly for DBA roles. "SQL" will get you SQL Server DBA roles. CRM will get you all levels of roles using all CRM software, as well as 1st-line support for apps using any CRM package.

One of these CVs I must try the legendary "I have NEVER used xxxxx" and wait for the xxxxx contract offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                  Ask Malvolio if the PCG have got anywhere with this yet
                  Sore point. We are "in discussion" with them, and have made some progress, but they are not exactly falling over themselves to help. My view, which is shared by some, is that their model is only of use to permies and if they want to handle contractor CVs they need a second service, but I don't hold out any hope of the people on our side pushing for that to happen.

The other issue is that you have to agree to their totally unacceptable Ts&Cs before using the site. The answer to that is to click the "Accept" button then cheerfully ignore them and legalities be damned. And by far the best answer right now is to open your CV on their database, delete all the content and replace it with "Quick Brown Fox" nonsense (someone suggested "FOAD iProfiles" as a string...) and lock it against further editing. Personally as soon as Hays or one of the other misguided souls tell me they have created an iProfile for me, I immediately delete it. It's not like it will cost me work or anything.

I also asked a few of the more intelligent agencies about their service. Polite laughter was the average answer...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I used to diligently update my iProfile with accurate information and then realised that every so often it would get overwritten with garbage from recruiters, so I don't bother anymore. Occasionally I get spam from recruiters who are looking for something well wide of the mark - like a French-speaking payroll expert - and I think 'iProfile' !!
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      It's not very smart yet, or agents aren't. Or both.

As we all know, it does (or is made to do) some pretty dumb keyword matching. If you have "database" on your CV, you'll get pinged repeatedly for DBA roles...
                      Earlier this year I received an email from a well-known agency seeking "heating, ventilation and air-conditioning engineers"

I still haven't worked out which part of my CV might have met the following criteria:

- HVAC
                      - HVAC Design
                      - Maintenance
                      - Heat Calculation
                      - Load Calculation
                      - Heat Transfer
                      - Fan Design
                      - Thermal Calculation
                      - HEBA comp
                      - Ductwork
                      - Site Surveys
                      - Design for installation
                      - Air Handling Units (AHU’s)
                      - Cooling Towers

I did watch some cooling towers being demolished back in 1982, but I don't recall ever listing this as a "skill" anywhere

Comment

Working...
                      X