• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where are all the contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are all the contracts?

Hi

I have recently moved to London from Australia where I was working as a contractor doing C++ analysis/development.

Since arriving in the UK I've seen loads of contracts on offer for people with investment banking experience (which I don't have) but not many contracts in any other areas. I've been looking mostly on JobServe and a few other websites. I have had a few interviews for permanent positions and have received one offer, but I'd really prefer to work on contract as the money is SO much better (as I'm sure everyone on this forum knows

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have any advice about where to find good contracts (£350+ per day) for experienced C++ developers that do not require previous banking experience?

2. Is it possible to get these banking contracts without having banking experience?

3. Any other suggestions for getting into the contracting market? E.g. are there any agents that are particularly good?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ned

Originally posted by nedmules View Post
    Hi

I have recently moved to London from Australia where I was working as a contractor doing C++ analysis/development.

Since arriving in the UK I've seen loads of contracts on offer for people with investment banking experience (which I don't have) but not many contracts in any other areas. I've been looking mostly on JobServe and a few other websites. I have had a few interviews for permanent positions and have received one offer, but I'd really prefer to work on contract as the money is SO much better (as I'm sure everyone on this forum knows

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have any advice about where to find good contracts (£350+ per day) for experienced C++ developers that do not require previous banking experience?

2. Is it possible to get these banking contracts without having banking experience?

3. Any other suggestions for getting into the contracting market? E.g. are there any agents that are particularly good?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ned
    One way to get investment bank experience is to consider permi jobs. This will make it possible to take up a contract role later.

I've found Jobserve to be the most useful resource for getting work.

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/ is a useful indication of what roles are on offer and where they are.

Your timing is not good given the current market conditions..but might all be forgotten in the coming months.

Comment

1. Try looking outside of London for non-banking C++ contracts.
      2. I know people who have done it. You need to bring something to the table that they want, and also do it in the good times. There is a so-called "credit crunch" going on so you can probably forget breaking into banking right now.
      3. If you really want to contract in banking then go perm and quit after they pay your first bonus (if any).

For what it's worth, my friend is contracting in investment banking and hates it. Apparently it's "bollocks" and all the extra money "isn't worth the long hours and agro". So there you go
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        For what it's worth, my friend is contracting in investment banking and hates it. Apparently it's "bollocks" and all the extra money "isn't worth the long hours and agro". So there you go
        Seconded...

Comment

My advice to you is to take the perm job for a year or two. You always come up against agencies trying to talk you down into lower paying roles because you don't have "UK experience", whatever that means! At least that was my experience quite a few years ago when I arrived.

Comment

Thirded !

Comment

Been doing it for 10 years. Most of the time it's great...and in the bad times...you sit back an count the money rolling in.

Never had to do long hours(except my choice when I was on an hourly rate)...and no unexpected agro.

Also, it's great knowing that if don't like it, there are lots of other banks close by just waiting to pick you up. Fill yer boots I say!

Comment

If it's any consolation I've been contracting for 10 years and have 6 years C# and I'm struggling to find a new contract too

Loads of calls and some interviews but I get the strong impression that clients are looking to significantly reduce contract rates and/or take on permie staff paying money that most contractors wouldn't feel able to take. The same (small number of) jobs keep coming around from various agencies which is never a good sign in my experience.

I specifically DON'T want to work in London (although I have in the past) and I've got a CV full of blue-chips (including banks) and team leader experience.

The recent credit crunch and sapping of general business confidence unhappily co-incided with a nice gig ending.

Just keep trying and adjust your rate to get yourself as many interviews as possible. Work out how little you can afford to charge and pitch yourself in just above that with headroom to negotiate downwards. It's been a contractors' market for quite some time now so the tide had to turn at some point.

BTW anyone finding the market good please let me know!

best of luck

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                  ...and in the bad times...you sit back an count the money rolling in......
                  Max, just wondering what you meant by this? Do you mean you were retained by the bank even though the market conditions were bad?
                  Last edited by ChimpMaster; 15 October 2007, 10:13.

Comment

I read it as him meaning when the work was rubbish, not the market.

Comment

Working...
                    X