• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where are all the contracts?"

Collapse

• Devlin
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Plus if the old contracting game turns bad, you can always get a job in a pub in London (unless they are all full of immigrant convicts).

No chance. The Poles have way undercut us now!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Kangaroo View Post
    Err yes - taxes are lower as its easier to avoid the Aus vers of IR35, the exchange rate is good (but not as good as it used to be!). The wages are higher in the UK because there are too many Brits in Oz and too much outsourcing in a smallish market. Also cost of lving in Sydney is only about 20% than London. So we'll be here for a while! Pity about the weather tho...
    Plus if the old contracting game turns bad, you can always get a job in a pub in London (unless they are all full of immigrant convicts).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Sorry will rephrase...

To take contracts off British born folk. Then after making off with the booty we can run back to the antipodes and live like landed gentry whilst chortling at the Brits and deriding them at rugby... why else?

better?
    Are you from SA?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Kangaroo
    replied
    Pay?

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You mean "the pay is much better in the UK"?
    Err yes - taxes are lower as its easier to avoid the Aus vers of IR35, the exchange rate is good (but not as good as it used to be!). The wages are higher in the UK because there are too many Brits in Oz and too much outsourcing in a smallish market. Also cost of lving in Sydney is only about 20% than London. So we'll be here for a while! Pity about the weather tho...

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Sorry will rephrase...

To take contracts off British born folk. Then after making off with the booty we can run back to the antipodes and live like landed gentry whilst chortling at the Brits and deriding them at rugby... why else?

better?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    You mean "the pay is much better in the UK"?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I am not Australian I do however come from the anitipodes.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I'm British but can I still come live in Oz with the rest of you criminals?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• someone has my name
    replied
    what about Austraila?... why come here?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by max View Post
    When the work wasn't good....ie:not greenfield development etc, you get to cosul yourself by watching the money piling up. Takes the edge of it for sure.

And after 10 year, even if the market conditions are bad, and you're out of work, the money still comes in..but not so quickly. Interest and divis etc..but that's another story.

Do the time...and it's all good
    Ah OK I understand. It's only been 3 years for me but it seems like I'm aiming for the same thing as you.

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Max, just wondering what you meant by this? Do you mean you were retained by the bank even though the market conditions were bad?
    When the work wasn't good....ie:not greenfield development etc, you get to cosul yourself by watching the money piling up. Takes the edge of it for sure.

And after 10 year, even if the market conditions are bad, and you're out of work, the money still comes in..but not so quickly. Interest and divis etc..but that's another story.

Do the time...and it's all good

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I read it as him meaning when the work was rubbish, not the market.
    That's how I read it.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I read it as him meaning when the work was rubbish, not the market.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by max View Post
    ...and in the bad times...you sit back an count the money rolling in......
    Max, just wondering what you meant by this? Do you mean you were retained by the bank even though the market conditions were bad?
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 15 October 2007, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X