• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Reference

My manager is ill-treating me and I want to leave the current contract. How can I deal with the reference problem. The new client may ask the last reference, I am not sure how I can get one from the current client.

Use a previous manager. At all points never slag off your current manager though, use an excuse such as:

"He hates giving references"

"I don't want him to know I am looking / He was very disappointed when I left"

Comment

You'll probably be OK actually. References ain't wot they used to be. Time was when they'd say a bit about how good or bad you were. But firms are so scared of being sued over them (even though it's never happened and I don't really understand how it could) that nowadays they just say "Ashwin worked for us between dates x and y". You could tell your soon-to-be-ex manager just to give dates, even if it isn't the company policy.

Comment

Never been asked for a reference myself.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Inside Agent View Post
          Use a previous manager. At all points never slag off your current manager though, use an excuse such as:

"He hates giving references"

"I don't want him to know I am looking / He was very disappointed when I left"
          Or, "it's against the client policies to give contractors references". Which has been the case on a number of contracts I've worked on, especially when I asked them to adopt the policy.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just say that the job was subject to security clearance and that you are unable to disclose the name of your ex-manager.

Comment

There are numerous ways round this. Give the address of the HR dept if asked for a ref, they are likely to send back the standard he worked here these dates response.
              Agency pay lip service to this, last thing they want when the client likes you is to go back and say the ref is a problem so no/little news is good news to them. Unless it comes back saying you nicked stuff/assaulted someone you should be fine.
              Alternative - pick another permie in the dept who likes you, as a contractor you work alongside but not for anyone so anyone working there can vouch for you, just give them as a ref (ask them first of course so they are expecting the contact)
              Never say clash of personalities, didn't agree with how they managed etc as this means trouble causer and you will be out of the running.
              Often, if you delay long enough they forget asking for refs anyway, especially when you are settled in earning them cash.

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd View Post
                Just say that the job was subject to security clearance and that you are unable to disclose the name of your ex-manager.
                That's the one I use a lot now. I can tell you the work, but not the manager or the client.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  Never say clash of personalities, didn't agree with how they managed...
                  Oh I don't know. I've used "We had irreconcilable differences of opinion, so I left. He thought he was sh*t hot; I thought he was half right".

Raised a laugh, got the gig.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Alternative - pick another permie in the dept who likes you
                    This has worked for me when I didn't see eye to eye with the official boss. Preferably somebody with an important sounding job title.

Comment

Working...
                    X