• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Getting Reference

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting Reference"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Just got off the phone to an agent for a contract in swiss ,who says its a legal requirement to give two references.
    lies lies and more damn lies
    It might be over there - give two other agencies.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Just got off the phone to an agent for a contract in swiss ,who says its a legal requirement to give two references.
    lies lies and more damn lies

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    it is apparently illegal for a company to give you a negative reference. The most they can do is not to comment on the things they thought were wrong with you
    It's not "illegal" to give a bad reference, just that the person (and/or his company) giving the reference can get sued (and lose) if they cannot prove the facts in their negative reference (basically akin to libel)

Same is true is case of good reference, if the person giving the reference says X if great in bla bla bla with yada years experience and then X turns around and crash's the new company's systems the person who gave the reference can get sued by the new company for misrepresenting the individual

Both these senarios are based on cases that have gone to trail and been lost the those who supplied the references ("bad reference" both here and the US, only heard of the "good reference" senario in the US but no reason why here could not go the same way)

Hence why most companies will no longer give references beyond that Joe Blogs worked for us between X and Y

Leave a comment:

• Ashwin2007
    replied
    Thanks very much for all your responses.
    The client I am working with has more than 80% as contractors, there are hardly any permies. My manager is also a contractor. For some political reasons, he is causing trouble in the project, and the senior management does not appear to be aware of his real intentions.

I am trying to leave from the troubled working environment. Unfortunately I have signed a contract that does not give me any right to terminate (effectively no notice period option), but the client can terminate the contract with 2 weeks notice.

I am planning to start applying for new positions and will use the previous job references, and will tell the prospective employer that I cannot provide reference from current job as I dont want to let the employer know that I am leaving at the end of current contract. After taking up the new contract, if the new employer still insists on the reference from the last contract I would inform them , as advised by some members here, that the "Client has a policy of not providing reference". I hope this will work..

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    As suggested, find another permie. Find another contractor. Use an agency as a reference. Tell them that the client won't give references. Tell them it was security cleared.

A guy that I used to work with, when asked for references about people that weren't too good used to say either "It's against company policy to give negative references." or "I never like to give a negative reference" when he was rung up. No need to go any further than that - they aren't giving a reference at all, but it sums it up, and you don't want to take that risk.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    Dont believe its illegal. They are just scared of being sued!
    I've used other contractors for references. Just provide phone no, and the role they were in, in the company. Never been an issue. Ive been in many roles where the manager was also contractor, so had no alternative.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Isn't that just for employees?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    it is apparently illegal for a company to give you a negative reference. The most they can do is not to comment on the things they thought were wrong with you

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Alternative - pick another permie in the dept who likes you
    This has worked for me when I didn't see eye to eye with the official boss. Preferably somebody with an important sounding job title.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Never say clash of personalities, didn't agree with how they managed...
    Oh I don't know. I've used "We had irreconcilable differences of opinion, so I left. He thought he was sh*t hot; I thought he was half right".

Raised a laugh, got the gig.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by funkyd View Post
    Just say that the job was subject to security clearance and that you are unable to disclose the name of your ex-manager.
    That's the one I use a lot now. I can tell you the work, but not the manager or the client.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    There are numerous ways round this. Give the address of the HR dept if asked for a ref, they are likely to send back the standard he worked here these dates response.
    Agency pay lip service to this, last thing they want when the client likes you is to go back and say the ref is a problem so no/little news is good news to them. Unless it comes back saying you nicked stuff/assaulted someone you should be fine.
    Alternative - pick another permie in the dept who likes you, as a contractor you work alongside but not for anyone so anyone working there can vouch for you, just give them as a ref (ask them first of course so they are expecting the contact)
    Never say clash of personalities, didn't agree with how they managed etc as this means trouble causer and you will be out of the running.
    Often, if you delay long enough they forget asking for refs anyway, especially when you are settled in earning them cash.

Leave a comment:

• funkyd
    replied
    Just say that the job was subject to security clearance and that you are unable to disclose the name of your ex-manager.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Inside Agent View Post
    Use a previous manager. At all points never slag off your current manager though, use an excuse such as:

"He hates giving references"

"I don't want him to know I am looking / He was very disappointed when I left"
    Or, "it's against the client policies to give contractors references". Which has been the case on a number of contracts I've worked on, especially when I asked them to adopt the policy.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Never been asked for a reference myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X