• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old skills

Just wondering if anyone has any view on which older skills might be worth investing time and effort in brushing up on over the next few years. Eg market seems awash now with newbie and offshore java web c#
    people. I have done c++ cobol abap in the past and mulling over breaking out the text books again to pass the time on my daily commute.

should be able to transition from c++ to c# fairly easily

Comment

"Legacy" skills can be quite good for middling rates. You won't get the "latest thing" high rates, but you'll possibly have less competion, and still a secure work stream.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        "Legacy" skills can be quite good for middling rates. You won't get the "latest thing" high rates, but you'll possibly have less competion, and still a secure work stream.
        As a mainframe person, I resemble that remark except for the fact I get more than .NET and Java put together as 'legacy' people are getting harder to find so we can charge moe
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Windows 3.11 (WFW), NT 3.51, or even NT4.......
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by adart View Post
            Just wondering if anyone has any view on which older skills might be worth investing time and effort in brushing up on over the next few years. Eg market seems awash now with newbie and offshore java web c#
            people. I have done c++ cobol abap in the past and mulling over breaking out the text books again to pass the time on my daily commute.
            C++ is quite widely used still. There are lot of actively used 'approaching middle age' C++ apps around that needs enhancement and support. I see lot of jobs in that area in my current (and last) place of work. But fewer number of new applications are written in C++. So if you want brand new development work learn C# (or java).

In some domains outside of vanilla enterprise apps they do not yet consider java (or C#) as an option - e,g financial math basd apps in banks, some telco apps , games, operating system, device drivers - though unfortunately such jobs are fewer in UK. If you are in one of these domains you shouldn't be worrying much.

Comment

C++ seems quite healthy. I was looking at the rate stats and generally C++ is increasing, whereas if anything C# is in decline despite the higher demand (because everybody and their dog is now a C# contractor).

But hopefully C++ isn't a legacy skill yet.

I have to do the occasional bit of maintenance on 16-bit Windows apps in my current role, so being old enough to have done 16-bit Windows 3.1 SDK work in my youth helped me get the gig.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

yes C++ is far from dead. At one point I used to do just C#, but subsequently had to learn C++ to get the classy gigs.

Comment

Actually to get good rates the language is less important, its a mixture. In spite of slow C++ decline, plenty of highly paid C++ contracts out there, saw one for £700 yesterday.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I leave C# for the script kiddies

I have years of experience in C++ and Java and there's loads of legacy stuff around. The more people that want to do the newer technologies (and I use that word loosely for C#) the better as far as I'm concerned
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X