• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting at ABN Amro - Bishopsgate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been 3 years for me at this IB, 8 hours a day. Only crap point is that they don't include the lunch hour as part of your day, so even if you work through it doesn't mean you can leave early.

Lockhouse, what kind of rate makes it worthwhile getting in that early - I'd have to get out of bed at 5:30am to get into work by 8am!

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      Lockhouse, what kind of rate makes it worthwhile getting in that early - I'd have to get out of bed at 5:30am to get into work by 8am!
      Me too. Until two months ago that's exactly what I was doing - getting up at 05:30 every day and getting home at 19:30. I'd been doing it for 5 years (not the same client) and it was starting to affect my health. Putting the 1st class fares up by 20% was the last straw as it was the only way I was guaranteed a seat from Winchester.

I now stay in Docklands during the week and go home at weekends. The rent isn't much more than my fares were originally. I cycle to work in 25 mins. I've lost over a stone in weight and I'm much happier generally. My flat is on a complex with a gym and pool, I get back at 18:00 and go for a swim and sauna.

The kids are 17 & 20 so that's not an issue and the missus comments how pleasant I am these days. We had such a non-life during the week as I was always so tired and that affected weekends as well, so not having me around during the week is a small price to pay for much better quality of life at weekends.

I also own a largish flat a little further out in Greater London and I'm in the process of selling that and hopefully buying something in Docklands so I won't have to pay rent at all. We like Winchester too much to move up here permanently, but we also like just being able to hop on the Riverbus and get into town.

As for my rate. It's a secret.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

hmmm... seems to be conflicting information here then... I certainly don't fancy 9.5 hour days.

The banks seem to only quote day rates too - so you are locked into working unpaid as I see it.. kind of like a black cheque!!!

Wouldn't mind working for an hourly rate, that way I could just take more time off to balance things out...

Originally posted by tay View Post
        well as long as it only a 9.5 hour day.. thats ok then....

Comment

Originally posted by faceless View Post
          hmmm... seems to be conflicting information here then... I certainly don't fancy 9.5 hour days.

The banks seem to only quote day rates too - so you are locked into working unpaid as I see it.. kind of like a black cheque!!!

Wouldn't mind working for an hourly rate, that way I could just take more time off to balance things out...
          It depends how much you want the money, work hard get paid well is the ethos. I only work a day rate too but spread over 9.5 hours it's still a good craic.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by faceless View Post

You don't really get hourly rates at banks anymore. But like I said you should expect a 9-6 day unles you are doing out-of-hours support and in which case you should agree a special rate for this. If it turns out to be more then just leave plus say up front if you only want to work 9-6 with the odd late night as required so the know. If it helps I work in the IT department of a large IB in Canary Wharf which supports the trading floor directly. There are 100s on the floor, look around at 6:30 and the place is virtually empty. It's the same in every bank I have worked in, front/middle and back office.

Comment

As for my rate. It's a secret.
              Its not enough for that life.

Comment

It depends how much you want the money, work hard get paid well is the ethos.
                I dont work very hard, still get paid well. Work smarter and shorter, not harder.

It may seem that I keep quoting you to have a crack... not the case... we just have very different ethos on working. Each to their own etc etc

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it Faceless. Frankly if you have the chance to get into a contract at an IB I would jump at it - there are so many contractors who would love to be in business at an IB.

You might have to work hard for a while, but the industry is very incestuous so once you're in you have a good chance of getting work in other financial institutions. The rates can be much higher than other industries.

I went to another's contractors house the other day. He'd been contracting for 12 years and obviously invested/saved well. He had the most amazing huge detached house, with the latest gadgets and sparkling new kitchen etc. He didn't have any huge debts either. He also doesn't have to work much now. I doubt he was older than 40 years in age.

Work hard and earn some good money for a while - it'll put you in good stead for the future and a time when you can afford to sit back and take it easy.
                  Last edited by ChimpMaster; 30 August 2007, 10:32.

Comment

Working...
                  X