• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting at ABN Amro - Bishopsgate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting at ABN Amro - Bishopsgate

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of working in Core IT at ABN Amro in Bishopsgate?

Im interested in working hours, conditions, expectations etc?

Im a bit worried that the same role seems to keep coming up every few months!!

thanks

Originally posted by faceless View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of working in Core IT at ABN Amro in Bishopsgate?

Im interested in working hours, conditions, expectations etc?

Im a bit worried that the same role seems to keep coming up every few months!!

thanks
    Whilst I don't have experience contracting with ABN, I was involved in working with them and EDS a couple of years ago. The working conditions are very good, however I cannot comment on the other areas.

I've just had an interview at another leading investment bank and they said that working hours were long, with expectations of working evenings and weekends with the possibility of having to work overnight in some cases.

The interview I had was a general one and at that point they hadn't made a decision on whether or not I was going to be offered a contract or permanent position, so I'm not sure if those hours would be expected of a contractor.

They've since called me back and offered me a contract, but at the moment I'm a bit edgy as I don't want to sign my life away. I've told the agent my concerns about the hours and he has (apparently) said he will approach them and clarify the working hours and get that put in the contract.

I would be very interested to find out if anyone has contracted at a bank, and if so, what the hours are like for a contractor.

Comment

Like most investment banking jobs you need to be prepared to be flexible, there will be quiet times, there will be extremely busy times around major uat & releases, you may need to carry a support mobile and laptop overnight on rota occasionally, and have the patience of a saint to deal with the average typical muppet user. It goes with the territory, but for all that you can expect to be paid circa £500+ p/d, and you get a free ringside seat when feckless permie middle managers start whinging at each other after yet another partial cock up.

Comment

Whilst I don't have experience contracting with ABN, I was involved in working with them and EDS a couple of years ago. The working conditions are very good, however I cannot comment on the other areas.

I've just had an interview at another leading investment bank and they said that working hours were long, with expectations of working evenings and weekends with the possibility of having to work overnight in some cases.

The interview I had was a general one and at that point they hadn't made a decision on whether or not I was going to be offered a contract or permanent position, so I'm not sure if those hours would be expected of a contractor.

They've since called me back and offered me a contract, but at the moment I'm a bit edgy as I don't want to sign my life away. I've told the agent my concerns about the hours and he has (apparently) said he will approach them and clarify the working hours and get that put in the contract.

I would be very interested to find out if anyone has contracted at a bank, and if so, what the hours are like for a contractor.
        I would run a mile... but I am a lazy sod who only likes ot work 7 hours a day and head home at 4pm. I am actually very impressed they were so upfront about, kudos to them! They know they have a tulipe work life balance, and they expect that from you... if you dont mind that, go for it. A lot better situation than turning up and then finding out.....

Personally I think life is to short for that sort of shananigans (sic) ... thats why I stick with financial services... still very good money (not as good as IB).. but with normal hours and attitudes.

Perversely enough I ahve heard that 'new media' companies also expect longish hours.... and they pay rubbish... but you get to wear shorts and sandals to work Personally I dont work anywhere with wooden floors.

Comment

I've workied in investment banks for over 10 years and I've rarely worked more than 9-6. Obviously things vary team by team but they are not anywhere as bad as people make out. I was warned of very long hours by an agent once and when I got there my manager strolled in at 10:30 every day! I worked 9-6 and he never complained. But I also never agree to any out of hours support roles. You will probably be fine, if not, you can always leave.

Comment

I interviewed there. Their rates are crap so I'm at another bank right now...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

i presently work at an investment bank (british bank in the US) and the hours aren't longer than an 8 hour day, just occassionally have to come in early/leave late to figure out time zones.

Comment

I've been in investment banking 15 years - At the moment I'm on a trading desk. Normal hours for me are 08:00 to 17:30. Never worked longer - except for short bursts when going live.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Normal hours for me are 08:00 to 17:30.
                  well as long as it only a 9.5 hour day.. thats ok then....

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                    well as long as it only a 9.5 hour day.. thats ok then....
                    Yep but it's the hourly rate that's important, and I 'aint complaining
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X