• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance, Investment Development Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance, Investment Development Contracts

How does one move into the banking sector as a contractor, obviously that is where the big money is, but every job ad asks for previous banking experience.

Is there a course that can be taken?

Now if we told you that then everyone would do it...
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Seriously though your best options are:
      1) introduction (CV forward) from a mate who already works in banking
      2) getting some experience as a permie and then go contracting.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks for the advice mate, just one other thing, how does the work differ from run of the mill dev work?

Comment

It doesn't really, but it is handy to know what you're talking about, especially regarding the instruments, measures, stats etc that you work with; I guess that is why they always ask for people with experience... especially when your client (traders/deal clearance teams etc) have little time to explain these things to you.

There are some courses available which may help, but really I'd recommend either of the options outlined above first, as experience will count for more than any course (pragmatically).

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Also they use acronyms for things that don't make sense and if you haven't worked in the banking world you don't twid what they are talking about at first.

When I was working for barclays a few years back they used to call thier databases CDRs (Central Data Repository). Confused the hell out of me at first..

We have a problem with this CDR, it's going to cost millions to replace...

Eh? but they only cost like £1 a pop.

What are you talking about a CDR is in the region of ten of thousands

Erm...

Comment

So in other words i'm going to have to be prepared to feel like a bit of a chump initially, and for them to assume im not to bright?

Just until I learn this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasta
                Thanks for the advice mate, just one other thing, how does the work differ from run of the mill dev work?
                IMO difference is the commuting. And the users are total morons - I get more sense out of my 5 year old kids.

Comment

There is a book:

Options, Futures and Other Derivatives by John Hull

If you understand that, you're in.

Banks do accept "I've read a book".

They test people anyway
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                    There is a book:

Options, Futures and Other Derivatives by John Hull

If you understand that, you're in.