• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed/Limited Company - Standard or Enhanced DBS Check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed/Limited Company - Standard or Enhanced DBS Check

Hey there everyone,

I wonder if you could please give me some help, advice and guidance with regards to the above post title.

I’m a contractor who has their own limited company as a vehicle for my IT contract work (outside of IR35) being the sole director of the limited company.

Is there any kind of provision for my own limited company to be able to request either a standard or enhanced DBS check upon my own limited companies employees (namely just myself as the only person) for the purposes of satisfying any contractual requirements by a agency or entity that I am engaging in a new contract with?

I have searched the forum for answers and I haven’t found anything to answer this, I even read through the stickied thread by Northern Lad on this topic but to no avail.

Any definitive answers or information would be greatly appreciated

No, is the short answer - it's also the long answer.

Anybody can get a Basic DBS check - you can literally just apply, but because companies were starting to take the Mick with it you now have to be registered, and have a good purpose, for requiring Standard checks then Enhanced is even more locked own.

Essentially, the government have rebalanced the system slightly to ensure it complies with their Rehabilitation of Offenders aims. A basic check will only ever show unspent convictions.

The other thing, of course, is that these things are mere snapshots. While companies as a whole can vet and then vouch for their staff, on behalf of organisations like schools - it's unlikely anybody is going to accept that from a one man band.

"for the purposes of satisfying any contractual requirements by a agency or entity that I am engaging in a new contract with?"

If you need a Standard or Enhanced DBS for a role, you'll do one as part of the onboarding

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post

Is there any kind of provision for my own limited company to be able to request either a standard or enhanced DBS check upon my own limited companies employees (namely just myself as the only person) for the purposes of satisfying any contractual requirements by a agency or entity that I am engaging in a new contract with?
      You can't find if there is a provision to request a standard DBS?? The Gov provide you a webpage to do it.
      https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record
      I have searched the forum for answers and I haven’t found anything to answer this, I even read through the stickied thread by Northern Lad on this topic but to no avail.
      Stickied thread is about SC clearance, not DBS hence there nothing in there about it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X